server 2008 - walkthrough

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by testuser12, Mar 11, 2009.

1. testuser12

testuser12 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2009
    hello all,

i've been following many threads over at this forum. and tried many different ways of getting myself a activated server 2008.

however i just cant find to get myself a simple walkthrough on how to make this all working. for the not so smart like myself, it's definatly hard to understand how everything works. nevertheless i'm still really interested in learning and getting myself a activated server 2008.

so my question is how do i proceed on getting myself a working 2008 server with a gigabyte EP45 UD3R mobo and a Q9950 cpu.

(example which version of server 2008 do i use/need? what do i need with the slic files/certificates/modded bios files etc and how do i use them properly? also what harm can it do now or in the future when i use a modded bios?)

so many perhaps stupid questions but i just had to ask.

any help with setting me up on a activated server 2008 would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. psdg2005

psdg2005 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. testuser12

testuser12 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2009
    #3 testuser12, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
    (OP)
    thanks for the reply,

unfortunatly my system is not a dell, i bought a bunch of loose hardware parts and build my own. (mobo = ep 45 ud3r gigabyte + Q9550 cpu etc etc)

because of this, and a missing guidance on this or any forum. i have absoluutly no idea what to do or how to do it.

i've seen so far:
    1 - opening the .iso adding certain files to it, saving it and burning it. (how? what files? what to edit? where? and once again how? any help?)
    2 - random softmod methods/.exe activators which do not work (i've tried them all over the weeks).
    3 - tricks to extend the trial time (they eventually still make it worth the hassle)

so unfortunatly there is no good guidance/steps on how to approach this and setup a particular .iso and then install.

any help would be appreciated, because i can not be the only one with these questions. - cheerio!

4. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  5. testuser12

testuser12 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2009
    well thats the thing, i haven't heared of this method at all.

all i read about is that a .iso has to be made containing some files alongside with WS2008. No info on how to do so and what comes along with it.

nevertheless i'm going to try this method (already tried a ton of others) - thanks

and i'm still really interested in the method described in some other threads here. (oem key/slic/modded bios/burn iso) so if anyone can help, that would greatly appreciated.

6. testuser12

testuser12 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2009

okay after testing the file it says activated, but can i check "use User Account Control (UAC) back on?

and what did this do? isn't a grldr file a linux partition boot file?

thanks (i pray this works for good at a 100% functionality)

7. psdg2005

psdg2005 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2009
    it's not a problem, if you have slic dell it's like a dell for activation vista or 2008.
    i have tried with a asus and it's ok!
    :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. testuser12

testuser12 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2009
    #8 testuser12, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    (OP)
    well to be honest that IS the problem, it's very nice that you managed to make it work by the way described on this forum. However with the sollution from xinso it works also at this moment. (but nothing is known about that method either).

however there is still no answer on how to properly get someone a working .iso with the required files. to eventually have a activated ws2008. and many other questions also remain unanswered.

my new question is: is there a possibility of having a remote web workplace (RWW) on windows server 2008?
    I believe it's only optional at small business servers at this moment. + google gave me a url describing some jibberish which requires certain software.

9. mangocat1

mangocat1 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    Don't mean to thread crap... About how long until this file appears?