Server 2012 and Exchange 2010

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by devicemanager, Apr 9, 2013.

1. devicemanager

devicemanager MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
    I am running server 2012 datacenter and exchange 2010 sp3 in a virtual machine but after completing the exchange server configuration some services fail to start after reboot. As a matter of fact they get stuck as starting, such as the address book and the store. As a repercussion, windows server takes forever and a day to load and login. Has anyone had any success running this setup in an virtual environment?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Why not to use something way better then Exchange?

3. mattjonesits

mattjonesits MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2013
    It's not running as a domain controller as well is it?
    That used to cause major performance problems.
    Also check out the event log. Kind of obvious but usually helps with exchange.

4. haileris

haileris MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Pity all those comparisons seem to look at Exchange 2010 rather than Exchange 2013. Ahh well, let's see if Novell actually have something like a decent release schedule.

5. devicemanager

devicemanager MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2012
    Sorry guys, I wans't gettting the notifications.... I ran all the prerequisits for server 2012 to act a single exchange server. Server 2012 is a domain controller and have ran exchange on domain controllers before and all has been well. I am toying with this setup for personal use in a vm ware environemt. Exchange installs, ran sp3 and am able to get mail flowing as it should. However after the next series of windows updates and a reboot, everything goes down hill. The server takes forever to load, forever to log in and once it does there are a few exchange services stuck in starting mode and exchange fails to load. The store, address book and 2 others I cant think of off the top of my head right now. (transport and something else if I had to guess). Once the server loads I run a nslookup and dcdiag and all checks out. Have no clue what could be killing those services.

6. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Exchange 2010 was notorious for screwing the transport services...................which means no mail in or out.
    I stopped using Exchange and instead Kerio Connect 8 is rock solid and has the API to Outlook and calendaring. An ultra brilliant product, indeed.

I have done in a VmWare environment Server 2012 Datacentre and Exchange 2013 Enterprise with no dramas............BUT it takes 22Gigs of RAM and I have 32, thanks God. Then I erased ESXi 5.1 and put Server 2012 with Exchange 2013 and memory usage was idling arounf 2.9Gigs.............................. I personally detest VmWare with a pasion.......................