Server 2012 Datacenter Activation & Hyper-V

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by acer1991, Oct 31, 2012.

1. acer1991

acer1991 MDL Novice

May 23, 2011
    #1 acer1991, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Hi Guys, with Server 2012 Datacenter aren't you supposed to have unlimited virtual licenses?

I've just installed a host and 2 virtual machines through Hyper-V, installing the virtuals with the same (legal, dreamspark pro) license key.

However, upon activation of the 2nd virtual (the 3rd activation of this key, which is valid for 2 activations) I encountered an error informing me that the key had been used too many times.

Basically, what key am I supposed to use when installing systems in Hyper-V for them to be covered by my supposedly unlimited Virtual Machines, what am I missing?

Thanks in advance people, love you all! :tooth:

EDIT:
    Wow, I totally put this in the wrong thread... sorry!! If I could get a move, it'd be greatly appreciated

2. AceUK

AceUK MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2011
    The data center edition of Windows Server gives you the rights to run an unlimited number of VMs on that host. You still need licenses for those Windows VMs however.

3. acer1991

acer1991 MDL Novice

May 23, 2011
    Really? That's a bit misleading then don't you think? Thanks for the info though!

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #4 Myrrh, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    Not exactly correct, a DataCenter license gives you the right to run an unlimited number of Windows Server VMs and you do not need additional licenses. Usually the activation is accomplished with a local KMS server; DreamSpark may have restrictions which override the unlimited rights in DataCenter however. If it's a legit license obtained in a legit way, your support contact should be able to provide satisfaction. If I'm not mistaken, DreamSpark keys are MAK, meaning that they may increase the limit if you need more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. acer1991

acer1991 MDL Novice

May 23, 2011
    Thanks, is the KMS supposed to run automatically without any setup/configuration? When I installed the Virtual Machines it ran like a physical install in that the first setup screen was a product key screen.

6. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    You seem to be expecting the OS would somehow recognize that you have a license for the VMs and then skip activation or set up a KMS for you. That's not how it works.

7. acer1991

acer1991 MDL Novice

May 23, 2011
    That's kind of the point :p

I'm not sure how it works and I'm also not sure where to find this information out, so I came to you guys. I've lurked for a while and know how helpful you all can be and was hoping to learn from your knowledge and experiences, so if you or anybody here could help me understand how it works and how to apply it to my setup (if it is possible) or direct me to an article or tutorial somewhere it would be greatly appreciated.

I really do think this is one of the more helpful communities for tech stuff on the net :worthy:

8. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Sure, you may have a license for the VMs (not sure on DreamSpark though, you'll have to check the EULA), but you still have to activate the OS. You won't be able to run a KMS because that's only available to VL customers, so if the online activation fails you'll have to do it by phone.

9. acer1991

acer1991 MDL Novice

May 23, 2011
    Ok, so this is it as I understand it;

Datacenter gives you license to activate unlimited number of Virtual instances.
    These have to be activated through standard means, ie Windows Activation Center.

Is this correct or do I need separate license keys per virtual instance as if they were individual physical systems?