server 2012 r 2

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by marchy, Apr 12, 2017.

1. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    #1 marchy, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    can someone point me to where i can get a copy of windows server 2012 r2 plz?

thx

2. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 LostED, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    thx a bunch Ed.

4. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    ok I need some help plz. After installing the server i can see both my laptop and desktop on my server but cant see the server on either. What could be cozing this?

thx

5. submix8c

submix8c MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2010
    1 - UserID + Password (same as on Lap/Desk) defined on Server
    2 - Share a folder for UserID on Server
    Servers refuse to allow access without that. You using separate router or built-in to the Modem? Obviously, all must be on same subnet, otherwise Server wouldn't see Lap/Desk. BTW, above is required for Server (different beast from Client OS). This is the same since forever on NT servers.

6. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    what if i dont use a pw on lap/desk as admin as i want to boot up to desktop on both without logging in?

thx

7. submix8c

submix8c MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2010
    #7 submix8c, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Let me get this straight while giving further info...
    1- Server/Lap/Desk all have "Administrator" that you're using? Or are you saying "UserID in Administrator Group"?
    2- Servers (by default) install UserID "Administrator". Non-Servers do not as they usually require extra action to "open it to normal logon". I'm betting you haven't done that extra "action".
    3- Servers require (AFAICR) that every External UserID defined (NOT the Administrator account, as this is may already being used, unless adding another under group "Administrators") have a Password.

I'm going to assume you've never operated a Server OS and are unaware of the requirements of accessing Shares on a Server. Client OS by default set up access to the "All Users/Documents" folder. Servers do not set up any accesses at all unless explicitly defined on it. That's why they're called Servers (to restrict access).

Just try this -
    1 - Put a Password on Lap/Desk for the UserID
    2 - Set up to AutoLogon (there are registry settings to do that)
    3 - Do what I said in previous post

In any case you must have at least one UserID with Password defined on the Server and at least one Shared Folder with that UserID having access to it. In this case, the Lap/Desk should be able to "see" it (provided ALL computers are on the same Domain/Workgroup) in Network Neighborhood. When you try to access the Share it should ask for UserID/Password to enter in order to access it.

As stated, Servers work differently than Clients as to accesses. I'm typing this on Server2003 and my StepSon can NOT access anything on it from his PC unless I explicitly define his UserID/Password on it and provide a Share with his UserID defined in the "Permissions" Button. Simply using "Everyone" (the default) will work as long as the Server "knows who you are" (UserID/Password is defined). Requiring Passwords for UserID's for access to Server Shares is intentional.

AFAICR, you don't necessarily have to define your Lap/Desk UserID on the Server but you must have one UserID/Password (other than Administrator) defined and have all PC's in the same Workgroup and define a Share that the Clients can "see". This is your basic setup, isn't it? FWIW, if you have your Firewall active on your Server, you may have to allow ICMP "Echo".

My Server2012R2 is currently unplugged, so I can't give any more specific than that. You really should read up on ACL and Server Share Accesses (Client OS can share but not the same way as Server OS).

Read this (all of it) -
    hxxps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770406%28v=ws.11%29.aspx
    Especially "Set Permissions" and be aware that when it mention "Users in Domain", that's what I've been harping about. YOU MUST HAVE THE USERID'S DEFINED ON THE SERVER. Period! Using a "Common" UserID is not a good idea (you may as well enable "Guest" and let all heck break loose, which you could do).

edit - Ahem... You're doing it wrong (I'm betting).
    hxxps://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/73971-bypass-user-name-and-pw