Server 2012 R2 - BSODing Every 10-30 Minutes

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ElectroPulse, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2014
    #1 ElectroPulse, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    EDIT: Issue came back 02/17/15. New info in post on next page (I'd give a link directly to it, but I still can't post fricken' links...).

Hello all!

The server we are running here for our computer lab domain controller is repeatedly BSOD'ing (about ever 10-30 minutes). For a while I thought it was a hardware issue (it would just suddenly restart, no BSOD), so I've been swapping out parts one-by-one to figure out what is causing it. However, after another Googling session it turns out that there was a setting that suppressed the BSOD, and instead made the computer just restart. After changing the setting, the BSOD is coming up. I have Googled the codes for a while, but the best I can come up with is that it's a driver issue, and I need to go through the crash dumps, or put the crash dumps up on a forum for someone to look through.

As I have no idea what I am looking for, I am going with the latter option.

I ran "dm log collector" as was suggested in a how-to on another forum. The resulting .zip file can be found here:
    [unfortunately, I only have two posts, so am unable to post links... So, I will break up the URL in order to post it... Just remove the spaces around the "[remove]" brackets]
    www [remove] . [remove] dropbox [remove] . [remove] com/s/ootv3fggoqms24c/PMASRV1-Wed_02_04_2015_125409_26.zip?dl=0

Also, the various codes that come up on the BSOD screen are:
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Also, the following are the two kinds of messages that show up in WhoCrashed are:

On Wed 2/4/2015 1:30:14 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalSetEnvironmentVariableEx+0x988)
    Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0xFFFFF8431333CA78, 0xF, 0x8, 0xFFFFF8431333CA78)
    Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

...and...

On Wed 2/4/2015 12:53:59 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020415-74109-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x153FA0)
    Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF80248047000, 0xF, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80246BED820)
    Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    ElectroPulse

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    have more than one video device on that system? check drivers, disable any onboard if trying to use an addon card. If using an addon card, try removing it and its drivers and using the onboard. First thought that comes to mind is video drivers and or chipset drivers.

3. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2014
    Thank you for the reply!

Nope, only using onboard graphics. For future reference, what points toward graphics being the issue?

When looking in device manager, I did notice a device called "Coprocessor" with an exclamation mark... I looked this up, and it looks like it might have something to do with graphics. This is an old motherboard, so finding drivers is proving to be difficult, and what drivers I have found are for Windows XP. I'll keep looking, and perhaps try the XP drivers on there as well.

What I find strange is that I installed this a year and a half ago, then it started having these issues out of the blue with no modifications... That's one reason that I was initially thinking it was hardware failure.

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Are the BSODS all Bugcheck 0xD1? It could be a old driver issue.
    Overheating? How hot is the CPU? You could also run a memtest to be sure but I doubt it's memory.
    You would normally get faulting application errors 1st...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2014
    Thank you for the reply!

Just 0xD1 and 0xA. I haven't seen any other ones so far.

Overheating was one of the first things I checked; the CPU is usually sitting around 36C-38C. When I checked this, I believe I ran Prime95 on it to test it as well without issue (I was testing a couple of computers for overheating issues around the same time... I may run it again just to be sure).

I also ran Memtest86+ for a couple of passes, no errors found.

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Are you able to try a different cpu? I've had dodgy one's in the past..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2014
    Unfortunately, no... I don't believe we have any other CPUs that are compatible in other computers here. And due to our location (Palau) getting a second one to just test out whether it works would take a rather long time.

I'm in the process of downloading the video drivers... I'll probably have them downloaded by tomorrow (our internet is uber-slow).

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Palau is 4741 miles from Hawaii. I understand finding supplies local. But we do have decent networks lol.

Good luck with the drivers

9. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #9 kubato, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    I will take a WAG (wild ass guess) and say it is your usb drivers. Ever since USB3 came out the intel drivers have been causing nightmares. USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller drivers are what most of the Blue screens on systems are coming from.
    Try to uninstall the USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller drivers and see how much mileage you get before errors.
    Just in case you do not know....
    Start, Control panel, Device Manager, Universal Bus Controller, Intel eXtensible host controller, Uninstall the driver and disable the device.
    The driver that causes this issue is iusb3xhc.sys
    Hope this helps and yes I know it is not related directly to the Kernal error you are reporting but,,,, just trying to help.

Also, can you send us the specs on your system, Motherboard maker and name with bios ver., Memory size and configuration, Drives (Bios set the AHCI or ???)

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    IRQ less than or equal errors are usually, Video, Audio or Network. If it is hardware then most likely it would be memory or the motherboard. The processor either works or it doesn't, I have yet to see one that caused a problem on a pc. Unless it was a BIOS compatibility issue in which case it still is the board at fault :p

11. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You don't need intel usb3 drivers for 2012r2 or win8 and above. Intel USB3 is natively supported.

12. wantafanta

wantafanta MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    please post your small memory dump files (*.dmp) from c:\windows\minidump.

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    What about the power supply to the unit? I've seen an intel server falling over because the supply fan had seized.
    I've also seen a server falling over because of a faulty ups...

14. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2014
    #14 ElectroPulse, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    (OP)
    Thank you for the replies!

Well, after having messed around with a bunch of things, the problem appeared to fix itself... I decided not to upgrade the video drivers at the time, as I was afraid of bringing the problem back.

Then, last night it started happening again following a power failure. No other changes had been made.

Today I installed the Nvidia drivers (both video card and NIC) that had been previously downloaded, but that hasn't helped. The "Co-processor" device no longer has an exclamation mark next to it.

I have also tried swapping the power supply... Didn't fix it.

As requested, here are the ten most recent minidump files (same drill as the OP, remove the [remove] brackets to get the URL): www [remove] . [remove] dropbox [remove] . [remove]/s/ab6zt7qjj14z7pa/Minidump.zip?dl=0

We will hopefully be receiving some new servers in the next month or so, so at this point I am just trying to keep this one running and usable until then.

One thing that I don't remember whether I mentioned, is it stays up just fine in safe mode... It's just when I start it up normally that it has problems. If there's a way that I can selectively enable the services to run for just DNS, active directory, group policy, and file sharing in "Safe Mode with Networking," then I think we could get by until the servers get here. At this point, I'm about to just grab one of the computer lab computers and use it as the server...

Also, as requested, the system specs:
    Intel Pentium D 3.2ghz
    Mobo: MSI P6NGM2 (MSI-7518 Rev. 1.0)
    BIOS Version: v2.61, drives set to IDE (one drive is connected with IDE, the other with SATA)
    Memory: 2x2GB PC2 6400, OCZ2N800SR4GK (memtest86+ shows no errors)
    HDD: WD Caviar WD400BB 40.0 (OS), WD WD1600AAJS 160GB (Data)
    PSU: GTR LC-8500BTX (PTX-500M)
    Optical drive: Compaq DVD-116ME

Thanks!

15. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    server 2012 has a memory check if you press F8 at startup I believe. If not download memtest and burn a cd to test with. I did not know you were in Pulau, I used to work for a company Pulau Electronics in Florida. Anyway, back on subject, yes, it is most likely a driver so go and start disabling any unnecessary drivers. Sound, and if you can access it without a monitor you can kill off your video card too but, maybe someone can comment on killing video and checking on system via remote desktop. I believe it will still work but, might be wrong????
    I will test the killing off of the video on a vm server in a few days. If you think it is you video you can always change to basic vga driver, you know that will work without issues.
    Once you have identified the driver with the issue, Post it and I am sure someone will either have a working driver or can mod one to work.
    What exactly is your hardware, Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Video Card, and Network Interface??????

16. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2014
    Thank you for the reply!

No, actually I'm in Palau... It's a small island country east of the Philippines :)

I'll give that a try... If that doesn't work, I'm just at the point of taking one of the computer lab computers and installing it on there, then figuring out how to migrate all of my settings over.

As for system specs, check my previous post (last one before yours). Video card and NIC are onboard.

17. wantafanta

wantafanta MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    i can't seem to find your motherboard? the best match i can find is MSI P6NGM2-L, but this has a bios version up to 2.2. you say you have 2.61?

nothing really pops up in telling me exactly what the issue is. however, in one *.dmp file it does mention the below:

please update these (check file stamps before and after) via the latest nVidia drivers/chipsets for your motherboard:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\nvmf6264.sys - nVidia nForce Network Driver
    %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys - nVidia Display Driver

and can you run an SFC on this: %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\ataport.sys

it is possible that these are the files causing your issues.

021815-117281-01.dmp DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER
    021815-72015-01.dmp IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER
    021815-72109-01.dmp DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER
    021815-72812-01.dmp DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER
    021815-73343-01.dmp IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER
    021815-73734-01.dmp DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER
    021815-73984-01.dmp DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER
    021815-78437-01.dmp DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER
    021815-79484-01.dmp IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER
    021815-83250-01.dmp UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 0x7f_8 WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT_SERVER nvmf6264.sys ataport.SYS nvlddmkm.sys

18. ElectroPulse

ElectroPulse MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2014
    Thank you for the reply!

I just checked the timestamps on nvmf6264.sys and nvlddmkm.sys, and they were the drivers that were updated yesterday morning with no effect (BSODing happened before I updated those, and was still happening after). I also tried sfc scanfile, and sfc verifyfile, and it "did not find any integrity violations."

So, that's baffling... I am beginning to wonder if it is indeed a hardware issue (video/NIC related messages would point to perhaps the motherboard).

However, as mysteriously as the BSODs came, they went. Checking the crash dumps, it looks like yesterday a couple hours after I stopped working on it, the BSODs subsided. The server is currently stable. Now that the server is up consistently enough, I am going to look into trying to migrate all the settings over to another computer we have here, to avoid having this issue crop up again... The other computer is less powerful, but should fulfill our needs until we can get some actual server hardware in here.

Thank you everyone for the time and replies!

19. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #19 kubato, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    Do you have any Intel based motherboards that you can use?
    Nothing against AMD but, I think your problem is the chipset drivers and going to newer is not necessarily the best.
    Rule #1: On a server if it works do not update the drivers!!!!!! Only update if you are having a problem, they will not speed it up.
    They will only cause issues.
    Just my thoughts your mileage may vary....