Server 2012 Standard - How to backup/replicate folders to ext. drive?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by zeniitti, Jan 13, 2013.

1. zeniitti

zeniitti MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    Hello all,

I've used 1st Windows Home Server in the past for years and I head up some data loses as many other users. Microsoft's backup engine just did not work. I installed Windows Server 2012 Standard and intended to use that for fileserver to my home network. In my server I have 3 physical disks. One is for OS and the rest is for data. By data I mean basicly folders Images, Files, Videos, etc. I share my files to network just fine.

1. hdd - OS
    2. hdd - Images, Files, Misc
    3. hdd - Videos

What I want to do is to use one of my extrenal hard drives (usb2) to have backups of my essential files that I have on my server. At the moment I don't have any backup solution. My best guess now is to use Cobian Backup to schedules backups.

I just think that I could use some of the server features to do backups like this? How should I proceed? What roles should I use?

2. zeniitti

zeniitti MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    So it is possible to backup certain folders or in my case I could backup the whole two drives. How do I specify the target drive? Is there any good tutorial for novice like me :rolleyes:

3. zeniitti

zeniitti MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    Yes it was possible with that very same tool. Now I have proper backups just like I like :cool: