Server 2012R2 Setup "just quits"

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Myrrh, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Ok, I have done about a dozen installs so far, both clean and upgrades, using the WZT Server 2012R2 RTM for standard and datacenter.

Finally got around to upgrading my primary datacenter which runs all my Hyper-V machines. It's a Core i7-950, 32GB, with Adaptec RAID, teamed multiport ethernet adapters, and several terabytes of mirrored arrays.

I mount the media (tried both the original ISO and a physical DVD created from it); run setup.exe, click "install now." It launches, copies some files ($windows.~bt gets created and populated) and then it just exits to the desktop before ever prompting for the product key.

Any ideas how to proceed? I am sure a clean install would work but I really don't want to mess with reconfiguring and recreating VMs if I can just upgrade it in-place.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    If you have VMs on C drive, copy VMs on other drive and other files too, then do clean install.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Did you actually read?

You think he would have VM on C drive?

Sometimes it is better to say nothing!

4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Just an update... absolutely nothing has changed here. I get the same behavior with the newest VL media. Will try again after Tuesday, on the off-chance that they push an update for Server 2012 that fixes this problem in Server 2012R2 setup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I don't know if this is related or not.
    But whenever I try to install Win8.1/Svr2012R2 on a system (real or VM) that already has a 'System Reserved' partition my $OEM$ files get loaded on to that 'SR' partition. Usually causing the install to hang or error out. :confused:

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008