Server 2019 Dism install.wim problem

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Mlke9876, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi, this is probably an easy question. I downloaded Windows Server 2019 from this forum. I burnt it to a DVD and tested it on VMware. Everything works fine. Installs fine. I'm using EVAL. Now I'd like to use dism to change it to VL. I finished with my install.wim and unmounted. Now when I try to copy/replace the install.wim file on my Server 2019 ISO I get the error "There is not enough space on x64_EN-US you need an additional 3.70 GB to copy these files." I've used dism successfully before but I don't remember how to get the install.wim to ISO. Like I said this is an easy question. I'm on Windows 10 and I want my Server 2019 image maybe on VMware. So how do I convert to consumer version? In dism? I thought all I have to do is copy/paste the new wim. Please reply. Thanks

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Did you convert the live install from EVAL > full? or did you set-edition the mounted EVAL to full?

Or just directly download the non EVAL server 2019 iso.

3. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi, I set-edition "Datacenter" to mounted EVAL. I downloaded it from a link on this website. Not Techbench or UUP. Is there a link to 2019 full version? Do I need to activate it? In dism? Thanks

4. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Is it because it's an ISO? Do I have to extract? More space? I don't remember how I did it before. How do I convert (not set-edition)? Can I do that before installing 2019 (in dism)?

5. correcto

correcto MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2010
    open the original iso ( i use ultraiso). the key to success is to First delete the install.wim from the iso, Then copy the Dism'd modded in the same place. Last step: save the iso with a new name.

6. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi, I'm back. Is there a free alternative to ultraiso? I get the 300 mb limit. I tried Magiciso and Poweriso but those aren't free either. I read somewhere to extract with 7zip, and reassemble with ImgBurn. I tried that and I was able to delete the install.wim (in 7zip) but after creating the image with the new wim (in ImgBurn) the new ISO doesn't work in VMware. "unsuccessful cdrom, network etc..." So, is there a free way to extract and rebuild the image? Like UltraIso? Am I doing this wrong? Thanks!

7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    You could try: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...se-switch-core2pro-upgrade-up-downgrade.78147

Copy the ISO content to a folder, replace original with your custom WIM (if not already done).

Open the tool and go to the FILE TOOLS tab. On right side use 'BROWSE' and point to your folder. Tool will check the WIM and show info.

Press 'CREATE ISO' down left and point it to a folder where the new ISO should be created, let it create the ISO. When done it shows a report from oscdimg.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi, I'm trying lic.switcher. After inserting the wim file, it still shows Eval in the info. When I click create iso I get the error "ERROR: Must specify a 4 digit year with -t". Do I have to do anything with the edition? I don't see Datacenter. What about License Choice and VL? Or Edition Key? I would like to have Server 2019 Datacenter (full) and pre-activated so all I have to do is enter the ISO into VMware and have it already activated when I'm done installing. Is this possible with the above commands? Also, thanks for the help. I'll watch this thread for replies.

9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    I see it needs a better error checking :D.

Please note: atm the tool will output an ISO with empty file name for Servers, check for nameless ISO file. Just rename to the original ISO name.

I clearly posted to use the 'BROWSE' button to point to the extracted ISO files folder, not to the WIM, then press create ISO.

EVAL would need to be converted either on the installed system or (iirc) via mounted WIM.

The other choices are to create either EI.CFG or PID.TXT, so no activation via this tool. Server ISO already has an EI.CFG.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Me again...I decided this is too complicated for me so I'll leave the Server 2019 Eval ISO alone. I don't really need Server 2019 full for VMware. I probably wouldn't have it on VMware for long. I was just downloading for fun and burn it to a DVD. (I have a bunch of DVD's for Windows 10 versions, Windows Server editions and Linux.) I'm happy with the Evaluation. When is Microsoft going to re-release 1809 and 2019? Maybe I'll get the full version then. I'm on Windows 10 1809 and haven't had any problems. I will wait for those 2 to be released. I'd definitely want to try the newest Windows 10 1809. And burn it to a DVD and USB. Again, thanks for all the help!

11. correcto

correcto MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2010
    send me your email i will help you with ultraiso, if you want to of course