Server 2019 Evaluation Installs are Corrupt

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ZERO269, Mar 31, 2019.

1. ZERO269

ZERO269 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2016
    #1 ZERO269, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Hello,

I'm not really looking for a solution here, but I did want to share an experience that I'm having with installing Server 2019 Evaluation that I downloaded from Microsoft.com.
    I created a bootable USB that I used previously for Server 2016. I was able to install Server 2019 without issue. However, I was having so many problems with it afterwards, that I spent an entire day troubleshooting a few issues; only two were resolved. Later I found out it was a bigger issue altogether:

1. Network Profile defaulted to Public. Was a hassle to get it to Private.
    2. Network Discovery needed to be corrected as a subset from the first issue.
    3. NAS access failure. This one turned out to be my QNAP NAS. I needed to enable SMB 3.0 on my QNAP TS-851 for Server 2019 to access it. Turns out SMB 3 is even much faster; so issue #5 turned out to be a temporary blessing as it led me to discover SMB 3 and its benefits.
    4. Remote Desktop: I was unable to RDP into my Desktop with Server 2019. It would connect, but then have degrade behavior; disconnected almost immediately, and eventually all it would do is connect > disconnect and that was it. I was able to RDP into any other system I have saved in my Remote Desktop Connection Manager, included several VM's hosted in VMware Workstation 15... except for one: a Server 2019 VM I had setup to replace my Server 2016 Windows Deployment Server; no wonder it wasn't working.
    5. Windows Corruption. Turns out my Server 2019 install was corrupt. After several attempts to repair the corruption using PowerShell and Windows Recovery, I gave up and decided to reinstall it. It only takes 10 minutes to install after all it was only a clean install earlier that morning.

Long story short... I tried reinstalling three times... and all three resulted in Windows Corruption that was not repairable.
    I reinstalled it in a VM; same thing.
    I downloaded another Evaluation ISO from Microsoft; same results on my desktop [HP Z620] and three times as a VM.
    I downloaded a VHD file and converted it to a VMDK using StarWind Converter... I'm getting ready to test it out now.
    I even downloaded a Server 2019 ISO from this Forum. I'm going to test it in a new VM and cross my fingers I get no corruption. [17763.1.180914-1434.rs5_release_SERVER_EVAL_X64FRE_EN-US.iso]

I should also point out that I tried two different SSD's on my Z620. I checked for OS Corruption on my laptop that is currently hosting my VM's; All good. No other VM's had corruption.
    I installed Windows 10 Pro on my Z620, checked for corruption; none found. I decided to host my VM's on Win10 v1809 for now until I can figure out this Server 2019 issue where it installs with perpetual OS corruption every single time; both physical and virtual.
    I must be the only one experiencing this issue, because I've searched high and low online and can't find anyone else reporting this issue...

UPDATE 1: 2019-MAR-30 @ 2210

The VHD to VMDK was a bust...
    I used the Server 2019 ISO I downloaded from this forum, installed it in a VM (VMware Workstation 15), checked for OS corruption... and none detected. AWESOME!
    I'm not sure why the ISO's from Microsoft would install with corrupt OS files every single time. I forgot to mention earlier that I used the one I got from my University, and it was a corrupt install, which is what led me to the Microsoft Evaluation to compare.
    Looks like I got a good install now thanks to the ISO I found in this Forum.
    I'd link the ISO, but I don't recall the thread I found it in. It came up from a Google search earlier.
    Maybe I'll test the VHD from Microsoft to see if it too is corrupt...

UPDATE 2: 2019-MAR 31 @ 0049

After my UPDATE 1 successful installation without any corrupt windows, I ran Windows Updates. Restarted the system and ran the System File Checker again.
    It's CORRUPT!
    I'm wondering if anyone else here has installed Server 2019 [Datacenter with GUI], ran updates and ran the SFC to see if their Windows is corrupt.
    The Updates that were installed are: KB4489899, KB4480056, KB4470788, KB4486553 and two others without KB #'s: "Update for Adobe Flash Player" and "Security Update for Adobe Flash Player"

It looks like I'm just going to stick with Server 2016... these constant Server 2019 installs and testing are really a waste of my time...

My only advise to others at this point is: Install Server 2019 in a VM, login and run the System File Checker before you do anything else. sfc /scannow
    Be sure to run that again after any Windows Updates.
    Enjoy!

UPDATE 3: 2019-APR-02 @ 1700

I was able to download a new ISO from the Azure portal resource offered through my University.
    I was able to install it in a VM - three times - without any OS corruption.
    Looks like I got a good image now and can finally move my Deployment Server from Server 2016 to Server 2019.

2. ZERO269

ZERO269 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2016
    #2 ZERO269, Mar 31, 2019
    (OP)
    UPDATE 1: See initial post...

3. ZERO269

ZERO269 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2016
    #3 ZERO269, Mar 31, 2019