Server 20241.1000 SAC & LTSC

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Enthousiast, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  2. jmtella

jmtella MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2012
    This version is wrong. Unable to install any role or features.

The service is configured to not accept any remote shell requests

3. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    Yep noticed that. Had to use the old way to uninstall defender.

4. OSMAN

OSMAN MDL Addicted

Oct 25, 2009
    this build now includes Microsoft edge

5. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    With a lot of experimenting, I finally discovered the reason this and the previous new builds (including those of regular Win 10) was throwing kernel heap corruption errors yet working fine in safe mode.
    And the winning cause was...

Onboard audio or USB3. Both of which were fine on all previous versions until around the 20x branch. I guess Microsoft updated the built in drivers in the ISO/WIM and f**ked it as a result.

Disabled in BIOS, installed and booted perfectly, installed USB3 drivers post-install, reenabled that in BIOS and so far so good.
    Undoubtedly others will encounter this in the future, so posting this solution.

These new builds are looking and performing /very/ nice indeed.

6. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    2b fair sound & usb3 don't seem like criticle server functions
    but thanx 4 the warning regardless

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    Okay if we're still pretending people haven't been using it as a desktop OS since 2K/2K3, then it shouldn't be trying to add sound and usb3 during install. Which it has done, and worked perfectly with until these most recent builds where they presumably updated the drivers, which means they also realised people would need them.
    And I'd argue that usb3 can be damn useful on a server...
    Plus as noted; This affects regular Windows 10 builds as well. Its not going to be some obscure issue for long.

8. bear_aussie

Jun 8, 2015
    missed that :doh:
    yeah that's different​
    good thing its beta stage eh ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    Apologies if the tone of that was a little abrupt. Been dealing with "u shouldn't be using a server OS as desktop its ONLY FOR SERVERS" people who don't understand the benefits (ie damn fast and stable) for 17 years or so now. ;)

I took the time to dig in and figure out why when the Jan 2019 builds were working fine, these ones suddenly wouldn't even complete install - the same goes for Windows 10 equivalents - and figured out the cause and solution. There's something with the USB3 or onboard audio - probably the former - drivers now included, that causes BSOD/kernel heap corruption errors. Now we know that is something to be aware of, and already have a workaround for too.
    I call that a win.

10. bear_aussie

Jun 8, 2015
    the reason in my expereince that winsrv is so stable is cos u run it with less s**t
    not 2 mention the "server grade" drivers at least back in the day were better writen
    but I haven't bothred to run winsrv as a desktop since win2k3
    but dat stability if u run 24-7 is tasty yeah :D
    tasty_uptime.png
    from my 2k12 svr
    I only restart it evry few months when I bother with updates