Server Based Loader - Proof of Concept

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mr Jinje, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #1 Mr Jinje, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Sounds interesting. I think any alternatives that might make things tougher for MS to identify should be explored.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. King_Jay16

King_Jay16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    interesting, i like the sound of it, i will prob apply later on down, as my school schedule is a bit hectic right now, but this would tie in nicely with my computer networks course. Will get back to you on this tho. But I'M DEFINITELY liking the idea

PS: Subbed :)

4. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Sounds good.

Loaders are starting to get pretty old so some new 'angles of attack' certainly cant hurt...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Would be great Jinje....

6. omdhar

omdhar MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    #6 omdhar, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
    New thought and ideas are always nice to explore. That too from Mr Jinje, great.

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    But doesn't a company/school usually buy windows? The normal home user can affort running windows illegal, but with a company or school I think that lies different?
    And how many home users have a server to insert slic?

8. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Sounds very good! Interesting concept!

9. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    @ Everyone, looks like there is some interest, i will work collecting all the steps. Right now it does not look easy enough for non-networking types to deploy yet, I will see if I can't include an .INI file to automate some of the steps. But it definitely won't work if someone sets it up on a network that already has DHCP (the two DHCP will fight).

@ Stannieman, this is just for proof of concept. While it will be scalable to hundreds if not thousands of machines per server. You are right, no sanely governed school or company would risk the lawsuit that M$ would bring, bankrupting them in legal fee's. Also, I think you are misunderstanding, when I say server, I mean in the Server/Client sense, not in the "Microsoft Server Products" sense. Like how your desktop is the server, when your laptop browses shared folders, or how your router is actually a small linux server. Any spare computer can function as the server.

@ Phazor, actually this angle of attack is almost as old as we are, when it finally goes public you will be surprised to find it can be served from linux or possibly even DOS.

@ Rode Warrior, If WAT cannot identify local loaders, this will certainly pass. No evidence of any boot sector tampering or any local files will be found using this method.

@ King Jay, good luck with the schooling, once you get out that is when life gets complicated.

10. King_Jay16

King_Jay16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks Jinje, Tell me about it, but enjoying none-the-less, Im doing with Networking till next academic year, right now we are focusing on programming. But let us know wats going on for this method, i'll pitch in where i can.

11. mazodude

mazodude MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sounds very interesting.
    would like to see how this pans out :D

12. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #12 Mr Jinje, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    (OP)
    SLIC from W2K8-R2 WDS (Windows Deployment Services)

Get your spare machine (or VM), install W2K8-R2 with both DHCP + WDS roles. (or Domain Controller + WDS) Inside the WDS RemoteInstall share find the Wdsnbp.com files (both of them) and rename them to Wdsnbp.com.bak. One in each of these folders. (did not test IA64 - have no hardware)

D:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x86\
    D:\RemoteInstall\Boot\x64\

Then copy GRLDR into both of these folders and rename it Wdsnbp.com

When your machines boot up, set the bios to boot from the network first and HDD second (or third if need DVD), and they will get GRLDR directly from the WDS server and it will chain bootmgr on the HDD.

13. mazodude

Jan 4, 2009
    Maybe to help out some people you could make 2 vm's (1 with the server, 1 the client)
    (I would make them but don't have the DL limit to upload them :()

14. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  15. mazodude

Jan 4, 2009
    that would be even better

16. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #17 Mr Jinje, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
    (OP)
    Here is dead link. Instruction are to boot from the ISO, right click file at "/Tftpd32/tftpd32.exe" > select "Open With", type "WINE", check box to save preference when opening files of this type, and hit OK. Wait for tftpd32 window to appear. Then boot other machine from PXE/Network (usually F12 on some BIOS'es).

Warning: VM's with blank HDD don't seem to play nice (black screen blinking cursor - does not pass off to CDROM bootmgr), but VM's will work fine after OS is installed. All of my laptops on the other hand, do pass off from PXE to CD-ROM (real machines), so maybe you can host this from a VM, and serve PXE to clients that are real. All while having SLIC 2.1 emulation during the install like a real BIOS mod. You know, just in case Microsoft decides to start recording the BIOS/SLIC state during the installation to determine if a SLIC is being added after the initial install or not.

The included GRLDR is the inferior vstaldr with ACER slic. Change it to anything you like, as long as it doesn't require any external files (no custom menu.lst)

17. mazodude

Jan 4, 2009
    Sorry for taking so long (damn life makes it hard)
    I will test it out as soon as i get a chance

18. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  19. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Hahaha. Baaaaalmer!