Server question

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by edee, Jan 13, 2012.

1. edee

edee MDL Novice

May 6, 2011
    #1 edee, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    Ok, so I have been thinking of starting my own home server for quite some time now, I have a not so old HP Pavilion just lying around that I am thinking about using for this purpose.

I have copy of Windows Server 2008 but before I reformat and install I want to ask a couple of questions here ....

1.) Windows Home Server 2011 caught my eye, is it true that it is only availible in 64 bit or can you get it in 32 bit also? Microsoft is saying that it is only availible in 64 bit but if you look or do a Google serch you will find sites such as Newegg selling Windows Home Server 2011 in 32 bit, so I am just a little confused about this. Truth being I would actually prefer WHS 2011 over 2008 because it looks easier to work with if I can get it in a 32 bit version.

2.) The server I will be setting up will be 32 bit and will handle approximately 5 systems at any given time, these systems are a mix of 32 and 64 bit systems and range from XP SP3 to Windows 7 SP1. Can a 32 bit server communicate with a 64 bit system? will it also be able to communicate with the different range in OS's?

3.) Does a server have to be connected to the internet? other than updates which I can do manually there will be no real need for it to be connected to the internet as it will only be used locally.

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated, my weekend this weekend is free and more than likely I will be getting started on this while I have the chance.

Thanks so much for your help in adavance !

2. [JM]

[JM] MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2012
    1) 64 bit.
    2) Yes, 32 and 64 bit systems on different operating systems can communicate with one another.
    3) The server does not have to be connected to the internet for it to function. However, internet connectivity is generally required to activate software, download updates, etc...

3. KMac24

KMac24 MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    1)Only 64 bit for 2011 server WHS version 1 is 32 bit.
    2)Yes the versions of windows you listed are good with WHS
    3)You will have to have the server on the your network but it doesn't need to be connected to the internet to function you will need to block it via your router.

4. edee

edee MDL Novice

May 6, 2011
    Thanks for the quick replies!

Well, whish me luck as this is my first endeavour into something like this........ :help2: