Server system recommendation

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by cfrank33, Dec 14, 2009.

1. cfrank33

cfrank33 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    I would like to make an easy server for 12 client computers.

I only need file-sharing service and remote access over the internet. That the persons can access the servier via www access and easy client backup method. Means all are latops and every day the persons are working although at home with there laptop and connect them at the next day in the red of the office. So the client backup has to copy the files on the server automatically.

Want can you recommend me for server system. The hardware is no problem.

I need a recomendation for the software system.

I was looking at the home server but he supoots only 10 computers and we have 12 ....

Thanks

2. Jahanbani

Jahanbani MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    Recommendation

I would go for a Rack-Mountable solution with redundant power supply and SAS hard disk because these things make a server different from a workstation...
    You do not need processing power as you said but sufficient memory is a must.
    I recommend at least 32 GB of RAM and a single Xeon Processor ...
    then run a HyperVisor (I recommend Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 R2 because of ease of administration) and put your servers on virtual environment then you can run 4-5 OSs in parallel on the mentioned hardware ...
    it is the best solution for high productivity.
    HP's DL line are very well recognized in the market so based on your budget make a choice.
    Good Luck

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Qnap NAS server. Will do all you need in nice neat package
    And you are being green at the same time!

sebus

4. ikrush

ikrush MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2009
    I have Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) running on an Intel Atom 330 motherboard with 2Gb of ram (only) and is faster than Windows Home Server o_O

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    On the same hardware?
    Or you are comparing apples to pears?

Of course it till run "OK", it depends what you really want to use it for

sebus

6. YIN

YIN MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    did you configured active directory in your server or just install the windows server and make it as 'workstation'???

7. marrogant

marrogant MDL Novice

May 27, 2007
    But why a Xenon?
    A simple Quad core is so much more affordable.

If going for a name brand server, what would put one manufacturer ahead of another (Dell, HP, Lenovo...)