Setting up second display

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ThomasMann, Oct 25, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I use an Acer Display and a large screen TV with my computer, with a Nvidia GT 630. The Acer works perfectly with both Win7 and Mint.

When I boot Win using the TV, there are no problems because the Nvidia Console offers f.e. resizing options.

When I boot Linux Mont the Nvidia offers no such resizing options.
    The TV also itself does not offer any, unless connected with a VGA cable, while I use HDMI.

Does someone know how to get around that problem?

Thank you

2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I don't do that, as you may have recently read...

Lesson: do not generalise in an unqualified manner!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    On the other hand..... you gave me twelve links, and NOT ONE OF THEM had anything to do with my problem...
    But thanks anyway, you meant to help, I know that.

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You're welcome.

Of course, I checked, read through them, if quickly. It has to do with:

1) BIOS/UEFI settings, VGA settings - the first thing to sort out before the installation,

2) kernel (so different distros are indicated with this one, perhaps),

3) which different drivers to look out for, after installation - which could be your problem,

4) the VGA/HDMI settings, a somewhat delicate post-installation cha-cha dance...

EDIT:

5) Did I mention to have all of your gear connected and turned on during installation?

etc. etc.

All relevant in this situation, I think, as a lay person. I mean, you might be wrong on this, as some people did declare the issue with second monitor/HDMI (sound and resolution) - resolved...

Best of luck digging! :)

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    No thank you....

This was my fifth attempt at installing a Linux version in this life. Because every few years I see some people discussing how simple and without any problem at all a LInux install has become now... Maybe next life... Just look at your four suggestions....

When something like this happens, I always assume it is my fault, so I ask, maybe I made a mistake. Your answer suggests it did: I should have understood about Linux once and for all... already after the last time... As far as I can tell NVidia had no reasón to change its console set-up, unless the structure of Linux itself forced them to exclude certain options.

I will stick with Windows 7, thank you.

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Thomas: There's an ongoing feud between Nvidia and Linus Torvalds. So it's no wonder that Nvidia products give 'nix users a difficult time.

A wise decision, I think.

Not because I have anything against Linux. It's just that some tasks require a specific combination of hardware and software.
    So, you go with what works and minimize your headache. ;)

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Sissies! :p There is a solution - but not for the meek... :D

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Well... that is good to know...

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Well... :boxing: some of us have a life and no time for the neurotic decisions of software designers... :fishing1: :gathering: ;)

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Hehe, that might actually be true at times, if not now...

Just try different drivers, check your BIOS settings and follow those 3-4 solutions offered - people have tested and managed... :)

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #13 Yen, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Well. I'd go for a plain rational way.
    The reason for it is a communication problem of output device and TV via HDMI.
    For some reasons the output is too big, means...
    The resolutions do not match, so the user has to intervene manually.

We have two sides to try. The TV itself and the Acer of course.

First off while changing the resolution on the PC side, the TV must not have own screen fitting features active such as overscan.

The TV has a native resolution.
    FHD is 1920x1080.
    HD-ready is only 1980x720
    UHD is 3840 × 2160
    but 4K is 4096 × 2160

Anyway it has own screen modes, depending on manufacturer they have different names such as true pixel, 1:1 mode, 16:9 image scan, letter box and whatever...some do have an own PC mode.

The first thing is to make sure the output matches the native TV resolution.

Therefore we can check the system settings.
    We also have the xorg server and if Nvidia proprietary drivers used we have a nvidia x server control as well...

If we cannot check it by GUI we need to get info how we can obtain the info otherwise.
    The xrandr command may be helpful....

The second thing after we have verified that the output is the native resolution is to make sure the TV does not resize itself. Therefore one has to check its screen modes.

It's all about rational approach.....Mint can deliver the right signal via HDMI that's not the point...the point is why not here?

13. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    If

If you would have read my post carefully, you would have noticed, that it is Linux that tells me in a pop up, that it is NOT possible to change the change the driver again.

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #15 ThomasMann, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    (OP)
    Thank you for your effort, I appreciate it, but... to me it is not rational to waste all this time on something that can Win can do in two minutes. I would prefer to get away from Microsoft, but not at that price
    As you probably know by now, I cannot understand a few of your suggestions. First thing would be that the NVidia console in Linux does NOT offer the options the Windows version does, which I can use to fix this problem in two minutes on Windows7. ... what is a xorg server... or what is an xrandr command....

Now these are not questions, I am only stating these as an example that maybe Linux should be recommended a little a less often as a usable substitute to people who have already tried several times to switch to it, but ran into seemingly endless poblems. It still keeps being constantly recommended as a totally simple and easy install nowadays, which it clearly is not unless your needs are very humble.
    In reality, once you start attempts to make it do what you actually want your OS to do, a new user ends up a in a jungle of instructions, which never get less,. whatever you attempt to fix, and only brings more and other problems.

In my opinion, which is based on at least 100 wasted hours of experiences with this during several attempts of installing it, Linux seems not to be an OS for people who want to use their computer to help them with the things they actually want to do. Like write, read books or newspapers or blogs, listening to music or books, or watch movies/TV. To me a computer is something that I use like a car or a fridge.
    Linux is something for people who are interested in computers in themselves...

I, of course, have no one to blame but myself for taking so long to realize this, and I appreciate everybody's help in helping me learn something new.
    For some time now, I see the disasterous problems digitalization brings for humanity, and I was myself blind to it, even if in my case the "harm" was only wasting time, that could have been spent better.
    For those who are interested in the subject, Tim Cook, I assume everyone here knows who that is, gave a long speech on the subject last week.
    A short version is available in an interview he did on Amanpour on CNN last sunday. I highly recommend it.
    I don't even want to start about the long term consequences of IBM having bought up Red Hat

And, thanks, but I have now deleted Mint. Win is the lesser problem. :)

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Hmm, Linux installation goes quickly, one can do 2-3 in an hour sometimes, so different drivers/settings combination and you'll get there...

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have never questioned that... the problem is adapting the installation to MY needs. And it seems adjusting it all to a second screen is a bit too much...

18. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
  19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    ?Your Mint??!!?? Haven't you said you delet... ach, never mind...