Setting up to install Win7 OEM on a Dell Inspiron 1545

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by S. Simon, Jun 22, 2010.

1. S. Simon

S. Simon MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2009
    #1 S. Simon, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
    I've Modded and installed Win Vista OEM [x1] and Win7 OEM [x3] on my ASUS homebuilt desktops.
    So, I'm not exactly new at doing this.
    What I'm having trouble with is getting a firm grasp on how it is done on a Dell laptop.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Vista x64 on it.
    I want to up it to Win7 x64 OEM.
    I have down loaded the BIOS and all the drivers from Dell for the Win7 x64 OEM install.
    The present BIOS on the laptop is an A02.
    The recommended and d/l'd BIOS is an A14.
    This is also the BIOS version recommended as the current up date for Vista.

When I plug the A14 BIOS executable into Phoenix SLIC Tool 1.36, before loading anything else I get a Dialog box Stating:
    " Pubkey w48_21.ROM [x1]
    Marker[2.1][Dell WN09 ] in 49_22.ROM [x1] "

After running this in Phoenix, I get the same dialog box when I plug the result back into Phoenix.
    What I'm thinking is that the Win7 down loadable A14 BIOS is already SLIC 2.1 and does not require modding for a Win7 OEM install and activation.

Is that right, or am I barking at the moon again?

2. S. Simon

S. Simon MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2009
    I've answered my own question.
    Yes, the BIOS update is 2.1 equivalent.
    I flashed the BIOS with the the update as provided by Dell.
    Installed Win7, loaded the certificate, installed the key and Voile, it is activated.

3. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    if slice 2.1 is present what cert did you need to install? i had 2.1 slice on my studio 1558 and i upgraded to 7 ultimate and just used dell oem key for it. no loader certs or cracks needed it just works. fully updated.

4. wiliamsmith10

wiliamsmith10 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    Yes it happen it dont required activation. because you just change your BIOS version but dot change your MAC add.
    so OEM windows coincide your laptop as it is.

5. skitzogryphon

skitzogryphon MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    This is probably considered a dead thread, and I'm at risk of sounding stupid, but I've been trying to mod my wifes BIOS all afternoon, and am tired of it.

Does this mean I don't have to mod the BIOS? (pretty sure that's what it's saying.)
    Where do I get the certs and keys from? Where do I need to load them?

6. skitzogryphon

skitzogryphon MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    Thanks, I can't believe it is that simple... No wonder I couldn't mod her BIOS...