setup.exe doesn't start

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by alessio89g, Nov 1, 2022.

1. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Hi,
    I've Windows 11 Pro VL 21H2 on my old unsupported Desktop PC and today I spent my time for trying to upgrade to 22H2.
    When I try to run setup.exe on my USB key, nothing happen.
    Obviously the iso has been patched: I tried the both 2 option provided by the excellent Enthousiast's "Win 11 Boot And Upgrade FiX KiT v2.2" and the fix provided by Rufus, but always the same issue, setup.exe doesn't start.
    It's not a USB hardware issue, because also trying to run the exe from the mounted iso, it doesn't run.
    Trying to upgrade by booting from USB a message says that can't be upgrade in this way and I must to run "setup.exe" -.-
    Why this happen?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    well sorry to hear that you are having this trouble, i have seen this before caused by a bad build ISO, may i ask your origin of your Windows 11 Pro VL 21HE ISO?

maybe best to re-download and i would use just Rufus not a combo of others

3. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    The origin of my current Win11ProVL installation is AveYo's "Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper script".
    About the fixes, I tried them one by one, not combining them.
    About the ISOs, I've tried one downloaded with MCT and one by UUPdump.net. I tried them in "original version" and also converted in VL.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @alessio89g
    There is no need to look for the error anywhere else, except that either the current version of Windows is not correct, ie it is damaged or the .ISO of the new installation is not fully correct and OK.
    Personally, I think the problem is with your current Windows, and I suggest you start by cleaning and tidying it up. Once you are sure that it is 100% clean and tidy, only then start updating.
    Even if your pc doesn't meet the requirements, it won't stop the installation package from loading and running, and only then will you get a message that your system can't be updated. Yes, it's true that you can still bypass these requirements just fine and there shouldn't be any issues related to upgrading.

5. alessio89g

alessio89g MDL Member

Jan 20, 2013
    #5 alessio89g, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    (OP)
    Found the culprit!
    A few weeks ago, I was planning to do this upgrade, and I installed "Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd", that AveYo provides with "Universal MediaCreationTool wrapper script".
    Uninstalling it, the setup starts!
    Maybe it is conflicting with the iso patches.