setup home lan network

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by test004, Oct 6, 2011.

1. test004

test004 MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    hello!! i own a windows 7 pc and i would like to connect it with 2 other computers to my home which have windows xp installed
    is there any way to make lan connection?
    all the computers in my home included mine are connected with cable on smc network router (which make all of them have same ip) and the smc network router is connected directly to the modem

2. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    diagram:
    modem ===== router (dchp server on) ====== computer 1, computer 2, computer 3.

===== represent connection with utp(rj45) or wifi.

on xp you must enable file and printer sharing.
    on w7 you must declare network as home network.
    than you made your own shares on specified folders.
    then win+r and type \\computer_name\share_name to access shared folder. or just make network shortcut.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    One problem with mixed networks is that Win 7 defaults to using 128 bit encryption that is not compatible with XP. On your Win 7 machine, go to the Control Panel and open the "Network and Sharing Center". On the left side of the screen, click on the "Change advanced sharing settings" link. In the "Home or Work" section, select "Enable file sharing for devices that use 40 or 56 bit encryption".