several problems

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jorno, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    #1 jorno, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    hi, i was searching several things on the internet and often came to this forum, so i tought i would give it a go.

i have a medion md 97600 laptop that has a few problems.. these problems are:
    1 processor works at 600 MHz(original 1,8 Ghz => multiplier doesn't work)
    2 my wifi button and 3 other quickkeys don't work
    3 my keyboard doesn't always work when booting

i have searched a lot and have found that it could be my RSDT table, i think this one got altered when i installed windows 7 and in hazar's loader accidentally clickt on slic 2.1 in bios... i have no idea how to fix it, but if i would need a backup, my girlfriend has the same laptop. i have seen slic toolkit, mine says i have an _ASUS_Notebook, my girlfriends laptop says it has a hpqoemslic-mpc.
    bios information is the same(namely phoenix bios /ACPI 1.0)

if somebody could help me, it would be appreciated,
    thanks in advance

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    first of all, thanks for the reply.
    In attachment the cpu screen. As you can see, multiplier is stuck at 6 in stead of 18.
    As for my wifi and quickkeys, i have tried several drivers, several times. nothing worked. Strange thing is, sometimes everything works, including my cpu at full power... I think i found a connection with my power. When my laptop doesn't get power for a while, it seems to work...

Attached Files:

• cpu.JPG
      cpu.JPG
      File size:
      52 KB
      Views:
  4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Have you tried updating chipset drivers or bios ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    chipset drivers yes, bios no... can't find a decent program for flashing my bios, or backing up my bios. Can't find one on the medion site and i don't know if phoenix bios editor loads my bios or a standard bios. I'm not that familiar with bios editing :)

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    It sounds like your machine is a few years old so there may not be any new bios updates. It is worth looking at your bios settings to see if there are any options regarding cpu multiplier. If you have these options they will most likely be in the advanced section of your bios menu. To enter this, at boot try F1 , F2 ,F10, F12. One of these keys is likely to get you into bios. Take a look at your settings and post back.
    Did you remove the loader in the end ?

7. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    problem is my keyboard doesn't work when my laptop is booting... I know how to config my bios, just not how to flash it. I can get a backup from my girlfriend who has the same laptop but i think it would be dificult to flash it onto my bios when i can't get into dos.

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Im no expert on bios flashing so im not going to advise you on how to do that or even if you really should be doing that. There are other more senior members here at MDL who can help you with that. If your laptop was fine before you installed win7 then the problem must have arisen from your installing win7. Where did you get your copy , did you check the hash values ? To be honest if you have only just installed win7 then maybe its worth doing a fresh install without doing any activation and see whether there is any difference with your laptop. Once you have done this then its time to tackle activation.

9. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    #9 jorno, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
    (OP)
    i've used seven for about half a year now, so it's a pre release ultimate 32 bit. Haven't checked the hash values tough.
    the problems started when i activated trough slic2.1 i guesse. I had a dual boot xp win7 and i opened partition magic on xp it said i had a bad disk (so prolly a bad partition table) After i formatted my laptop, in the hope of getting back my partition capabilities, The problems started.
    I'll try to get my keyboard to work during boot and format windows seven partition to install xp, to see if that would help me out.. Thanks for the advice, i will get back as soon as i know if the problems are the same/gone when i only have a single xp install :)

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    To my knowledge XP used SLP for activation and SLIC came along with vista. Perhaps running dual boot and then using a loader which basically emulates having slic 2.1 in your bios is what is causing you these troubles. Im not entirely sure what the effects of this would be, i think maybe Hazar or 911Medic would be able to help you out. Personally i would go for installing win7 on its own as IMHO its far better than XP. I hope you resolve your issues quickly. :)

11. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    #11 jorno, Dec 20, 2009
    (OP)
    my girlfriend also runs the same seven installation as i do. Only she didn't use the slic activation. I know in everest her laptop says slic is emulated, but on my laptop it doesn't say emulated.. here is a print screen of what mine says. (both slic => everest 1 and RSDT => everest 2) Her RSDT has a different memory adrest and her slic was emulated i think

Attached Files:

12. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #12 911medic, Dec 20, 2009
    I am confused here..you say you both have Medion laptops and you used activation and she did not..correct?

The problem arises when they are both activated; but with different OEMIDs..this tells me that the you either used a loader, or the install ISO has one integrated..I think a clean RTM install may be in order (they are both either mod bios or loaders). If the bios has a SLIC 2.0 inside, you may have issues with a loader. Just be aware of this.

Also, a better story as to the events leading up to this problem..the :facts" dont jive :cool::p;)

Maybe a link to the bios you are using would be beneficial...

EDIT: I would suggest keeping this problem in one thread..multiposting in numerous threads will get you no answers

13. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    #13 jorno, Dec 20, 2009
    (OP)
    i used hazar's loader's install loader option, with the slic in bios option, my girlfriend only used the install loader option. Both versions are activated in the control pannel, but mine has caused a corrupt rsdt table, i suppose this is why my processor works at 1/3th of the speed, my keyboard doesn't work during boot and my quick keys integrated in my laptop don't work either.

I first tought it was a hardware problem (that's why i posted it here) but after some exploring assumed it was a slic problem (that's why i moved it to windows 7 :))

Is it somehow possible that my bios got altered when using the slic option on an almost 3 and a half year old laptop? My bios is phoenix version R01-A0F dates to 08/08/06.

Edit, i'll put the english version here for your benefit :)
    FieldValue
    ACPI Table Properties
    ACPI SignatureSLIC
    Table DescriptionSoftware Licensing Description Table
    Memory Address7F6A2000h
    Table Length374 bytes
    OEM IDHPQOEM
    OEM Table IDSLIC-MPC
    OEM Revision00000001h
    Creator IDHPQ
    Creator Revision00000001h
    SLIC Version2.1

as you can see, my slic has a memory adress, and my girlfriends has not.
    I don't really know for sure that my hardware problems come from this error. if somebody could point me to how i could use her .bin and her .xrm-ms files to update my slic, maybe my problems are solved.

14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The slic will not cause a problem, as well the loader does not alter the bios in any way..only the image in memory..

I would suggest a reload of windows. If the laptops came with Vista, you can change the SLIC to 2.1 if they came with XP..add a slic.

You can try to repair the install. I think you misunderstand the role of the loader, and the function of SLIC/RSDT/XSDT....If you have never flashed a bios, it is unlikely that this problem extends past the OS..Everest is possibly the most un-trustworthy tool you have been using..I would suggest uninstalling the loader or reinstalling W7..

If the bios is corrupt, you need a reflash. A link to the update may shed morre light on the bios problem

15. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    maybe it's due to something different. The strange thing is that if i take away all power sources (adapter and battery) that my keyboard en quickkeys etc. work after a few boots. I tried this to see if it was a cmos problem but after a while it blocks again...

16. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I agree with 911 medic, do a clean install of win 7.No dual boot. See if your laptop runs ok with that and go from there. It sounds to me like using a loader on a dual boot system may be causing your problems. :D:D

17. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    i'll give it a try later(i have to study :(), will report if it works or not :)

18. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    format done, no improvement... formatted both partitions and still no keyboard during boot (not really my worst nightmare) but my processor still works at 1/3th of the speed
    I don't know if i mentioned it here before, but i have had a "bad disk" error in partition magic. after a format the bad disk was gone but i don't know if the problems started then. Would it be helpfull to try and recover the partition table? i think this is stored in cmos memmory and if it is, it could explain why everything works normal after a few hours without power

19. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Maybe your machine is just crapped..it happens:cool:

20. jorno

jorno MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    One last remark, I just remembered that i had a power surge at my dormroom, with destroyed my pc, could it also have destroyed something in my laptop? As i already noted, my laptop works if I disconnect it from the adapter and wait for a while till i boot...