Severe Hard Drive Corruption

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bennyboy, Nov 1, 2008.

1. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    #1 bennyboy, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
    A friend brought his Laptop round the other day for me to fix and when I looked at it I realized his Windows install was completely corrupt and even missing some files! So I formatted and ran dskchk /f /r, this took 12+ hours to complete and it found and 'corrected' a lot of errors. However I still cannot install Vista or XP, I can get Vista to install to the point where it reboots and upon boot it tells me something along the lines of:

C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.

XP pretty much does the same although it doesn't give me the exact same error.

When I run disk checker after the Vista files have been copied to the HDD (after the first reboot) it shows most of the files as corrupt.
    I've formatted and run disk checker many times and I've used Ultimate Boot CD 4.11 to do a full low-level format (which also took a very long time) but it's still the same.

Do you think this Hard Drive is well and truly broken and what can do this to a fairly new Hard Drive?

Thanks in advance.

2. datcat

datcat MDL Member

Sep 10, 2008
  3. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
    If the drive is toast I would invest in one of the new solid state drives which have no moving parts. They are a tad pricy, but seem ideal for laptops.

4. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Also run a memtest - files corruption could be a symptom of faulty memory.
    But long-performing disc-checks indicate that the drive could have some bad-sectors.
    You could also run HDD Regenerator (you can find it on Hirens Boot Cd) to do some bad sectors check-repairs (SpinRite is also preety good but I always try those both).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...