Severe Windows 7 High DPI Bug - Please Help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by saxopov, Aug 30, 2012.

  1. saxopov

    saxopov MDL Novice

    Jan 20, 2011
    4
    0
    0
    Dear All,

    Could someone point me how to fix the following:

    I use Windows 7 and I have to use 200% custom DPI. With such DPI the search bar in the file explorer window takes like 80% of space, leaving 20% for address bar. And, despite I see the arrows when trying to rearrange the controls, it's not movable. The defect occurs starting from 189% DPI. It makes Windows explorer almost unusable. SOS!!!

    P.S. I tried to catch the place where the dimensions of these two bars are stored (using the registry monitor, monitoring explorer.exe), in the hope to manually change the dimensions. But no luck.

    Just any help or hint is highly appreciated.
     
  2. PhaseDoubt

    PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

    Dec 24, 2011
    1,447
    277
    60
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    200%? I've never gone beyond 140% and now just use the suggested ones. Even then, Windows warns you at 150% you may have display issues. I'd say you're having those display issues.

    Why not use 125% and adjust your various font styles and sizes for menus, headers and the like. If you're using Firefox you can further adjust by zooming in or out and adjusting it's font style and size under Tools|Options|Content.

    I don't think this is a bug but rather a simple design limitation.
     
  3. saxopov

    saxopov MDL Novice

    Jan 20, 2011
    4
    0
    0
    An issue is, I have a display with resolution 2880x1800, and it's only 15". Less than 200 percent DPI is not that readable... Thanks for your post anyways! The main thing is that I cannot find where in the registry the size of the address bar and the search bar of explorer.exe are stored. If anyone knows, I would be so happy to know :worthy:
     
  4. PhaseDoubt

    PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

    Dec 24, 2011
    1,447
    277
    60
    #4 PhaseDoubt, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    Does your video card and driver support a resolution that size? What card are you using; maybe all you need is an updated card driver or updated monitor driver.

    If you search on 2880x1800 native resolution you get a ton of hits on Apple retina.
     
  5. _spinner_

    _spinner_ MDL Addicted

    Apr 3, 2011
    680
    280
    30
    I use 170 dpi in 32" LCD samsung TV(1920x1080) on my sofa 4 meters away, you need that dpi dimensions otherwise you get mad and blind reading that small text :cool:

    Text color, font and dimensions can be changed in Windows theme with WSB, whereas i think you can change the sizes of both address bars(never tried, but can be done)
     
  6. saxopov

    saxopov MDL Novice

    Jan 20, 2011
    4
    0
    0
    Yes, I use a Boot Camp on the Retina Macbook Pro, the video card is NVidia Kepler 650M with 1 GB GDDR5. Anyways, I am sure this is the Windows 7-own defect, not VGA-card related. I am attaching a scren shot downsized by factor two. Observe the ultra-cropped address bar! It cannot be resized, this behavior starts precisely from 189% DPI. The screen had been captured at 200% DPI which is an essential minimum for my 2880x1800 display... If someone knew where these dimensions are stored in registry...... That would be awesome! :worthy:

    Capture.jpg
     
  7. PhaseDoubt

    PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

    Dec 24, 2011
    1,447
    277
    60
    Grab the little vertical bar that separates the address bar from the search bar and drag it to the right. It's immediately to the right of the two blue semicircular arrows. That action will lengthen the truncated address bar. That will shorten the search bar but the added length of one must come from the other.
     
  8. saxopov

    saxopov MDL Novice

    Jan 20, 2011
    4
    0
    0
    The problem is, starting from 189% DPI the arrows are shown, but the bar does not move! Confirmed here: h_t_t_p: answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/how-to-solve-200-dpi-scaling-results-making/57c2c60e-0647-4bb2-a76b-72537631944d No resolution yet, awful!!!
     
  9. PhaseDoubt

    PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

    Dec 24, 2011
    1,447
    277
    60
    #9 PhaseDoubt, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
    Still has the sound and feel of a Windows 7 design limitation to me as the last responder alluded to at the site you suggested. Looks to me you just have to live with it. Maybe someone else has a solution for you. With Boot Camp being an Apple program, have you tried any Apple forums for help?