sfc /scannow and other problems

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by spacednow, Mar 19, 2023.

1. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    #1 spacednow, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    Can this change settings? Every time I run it, it finds corrupted files...so it says. This happens on all my PC's (3). EVERY TIME.

Has something changed with the sfc option or does MS change your settings -reporting them as errors- when you run scans? Also memory integrity setting is always turning itself back on, along with indexing and system restore. I don't check restore every day or indexing or memory for that matter. Just when I go to install a program and it wont install I go and check stuff.

I finally found a Group Policy setting to disable restore, and I disabled the search service but don't know what to do about memory setting issue. All of it is a little concerning because the normal way you can turn stuff off isn't keeping things the way they are set. I am using a local acct as administrator with no other user accounts. Developer mode is on. I am THE administrator (security options, enable administrator ->enabled- renamed the admin acct to my preferred name).

Does windows update change these settings when they are only set through the normal system settings?

AMD fTPM is on, trusted computing enabled, CSM is off. Secure Boot is disabled- contrary to popular belief it doesn't have to be enabled for 11, just capable.

No OC except XMP and basic PBO (just enabled-no curves or other tweaks to it). Good components on all PCs... Gskill Flare X memory sticks, Samsung 970+ or SK Hynix P31 or P41 NVME's. Ryzen 5's, a 5600, 3600, and a 1600af processor -all on B550 MBs (different ones) with the latest bios in each - with the exception of the 1600af, wouldn't post after the last bios update and had go back to the previous one.

The sfc thing is very frustrating....always says they're repaired. I had all of these PC's running windows 7 on these boards- never any problems. I only went to 11 when most browsers announced end of support for windows 7. I'm at wits end with this. Countless reinstalls with the same issues returning.

Also - I just noticed UAC is also guilty of turning itself back on at a low setting.

Edit: Upon further investigation I'm thinking the corruption is being caused by Malwarebytes. Many warnings about MBAM not supporting direct I/O to NVME. Just a hunch, though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    sfc.exe /scannow does nothing but compare the hashes of the system files and the shortcuts originally defined on the system, and if they are not the same, replace the ones that are different from the originals.
    Nothing else it controls or fixes. However, it can only be checked and repaired if you have a shadow copy of the original on your computer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    All were installed from USB using rufus (DL from site recommended by MS) and ISO from MS. Partition on this PC has C, then a 625MB recovery along with 100mb EFI partition. So the 625MB recovery would be the image? Very strange, all my PCs do this. 2 of them I barely use. My main PC I'm gradually adding programs to from my last reinstall. About every other program I have issues installing. These aren't questionable programs or from questionable sources. They all seem to get stuck partially installed- usually lacking permission for some folder or not allowed to run something from the install. Then I'll run the sfc. Always find and fixes errors...then give me log references to 2 different log files. It's like I ran the dism online restore cmd also - but I don't. So then I'll try again and same issues. Then I check around and find all my settings changed. Properly set them again and programs install....till the next program I try installing.
    I'm doing this over days because it's the same for every program. Everything runs fine once installed. Used to it would take a couple of hours to put all the programs I use in, now 3 weeks in and not installed yet because I have these same Problems every time; so I'm not in a hurry anymore. Just frustrated.