[DISCUSSION] Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Pasta88, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    Hi, Just wondering if any peeps here use shadow defender? If you do, what do you think of it. Even if you dont use it, maybe some of you have heard things about it.

Thx

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I use it every day. All I can say its driver is great doing it's job: protecting drives and/or partitions, MBR included.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #6 Mr.X, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Be careful with this statement.

Any file will be written, altered, deleted or created even on the shadowed drive or partition. Even by any program and any form of malware too. The medular point here is to understand that when you reboot the machine, all changes done during the session are and will be gone. Again a machine reboot is mandatory to discard any changes done by malware or goodware.

That said, Shadow Defender does not prevent malware to run cause it is not designed for such end. Shadow Defender is designed to discard changes to the filesystem on the protected shadowed partition only after a machine restart.

If malware runs while in shadow mode, it could do the same harm like stealing credentials, leak information, etc. But after a machine restart any malware sitting on the filesystem will be gone, BUT the harm it does as mentioned is NOT mitigated nor prevented. So you still need additional protection to STOP malware on its tracks.

Attacks like ransomware, like those malicious cryptomalwares, could be easily reverted as any change on the files sitting over the filesystem can be reverted at restart if the drive/partition was shadowed during the session.

In addition, Shadow Defender, as it reverts or discards any bad or good changes to the filesystem at reboot time, your machine virtually can remain in a pristine state indefinitely. Hence less reformats and os reinstalls are needed. Fwiw I've been using my W8.1 installation for 1 yr. now and it's working like a fresh install.

Shadow Defender prevents persistence of malware or any other software or changes to the filesystem protecting the drive from track 0, including MBR, on MBR or GPT disks.

Shadow Defender does not protect from malware that injects code to BIOS firmware, like BadUSB attacks do.

4. spinalGR

spinalGR MDL Senior Member

Oct 16, 2014
  5. asache

asache MDL Junior Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Maybe because it does what it does, its not an antivirus to need updates. Its like you use a restore point every time you open your pc or like a live cd.

6. spinalGR

Oct 16, 2014
    yes ..but windows 10 gets continuously updates and probably won't works in newer version of windows 10.

For Windows XP and 7 works perfect !

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    When that happens we'll see whether the developer is still around.

8. whats the use of this so called shadow defender .

9. paresh

paresh MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2012
    Acronis Try&Decide vs Shadow Defender, which one is better?

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Shadow Defender.

11. loader24

loader24 MDL Junior Member

May 18, 2016
    I'm not an SD fan, coz I'm deepfreeze user. However, I want to try SD for curiosity reason. And I'm looking forward, someone will guide me in the process.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Go and search Wilders Security forums. You will find more than you expected.

I use SD on a daily basis all day long.

13. spinalGR

Oct 16, 2014
    Is the program abandonware ?