[Closed] [Share] Simple Arch Linux UEFI Install Script

Discussion in 'Linux' started by °ツ, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    #1 °ツ, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  2. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
  3. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    The latest Arch ISO from 1st April contains a installer.
    Just boot the ISO and type archinstall to start it.
    I wanted to try Gnome 40 so I tested to install it with the new installer but it's not working properly yet.
    It didn't create a UEFI boot menu entry and also didn't start networkmanager service automatically.

I will continue to use my own script which I have updated.

4. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #4 ipx, Apr 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    yes it does & when i learnt that i decided to give arch a shot.

it is actually a cli installer, no gui.

i tried gnome too but it comes with all the gnome bloatware so i dumped it.

true that, no network manager on gnome & kde both.

i will continue to stick with ubuntu :D

5. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Yes it is a CLI installer. Just answer a few questions and it's done but the biggest issue is that it doesn't add a boot entry so you need to use efibootmgr to add it yourself. A newbie would maybe not know that he has to do that, he would just reboot and see that it doesn't boot or boots to Windows and would have to Google for a solution. I like that it doesn't install Grub because it's better to boot the kernel directly from UEFI but when it doesn't add a boot menu entry it's problematic. Will report it on their forum.

Yeah it does install all Gnome bloatware. I still don't like Gnome. I feel that Cinnamon is better in many ways.

I like Arch because it's bleeding edge while being stable. Ubuntu is still the best choice for newbies.

6. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    the past week & more have been playing with arch gnome & xfce.

did the automated install with gnome & also did the manual installs with minimal gnome & minimal xfce.

have to be honest, i found nothing bleeding / cutting edge with arch.

the automated april installer fails to give you network manager on a fresh install of gnome & kde both which is a bummer.

also with arch gnome, the gnome-control-center needs cheese as a dependency while with fedora gnome & ubuntu gnome cheese does not come as

excess baggage with the gnome-control-center, strange.

the arch aur has a package called gnome-control-center-nocheese which will give you gnome-control-center minus cheese but it just will not install.

i prefer offline installs so arch is a no-go for me anyways.

if arch has incorporated an automated installer in the iso i think pretty soon arch will have an offline installer as well.

clear linux kept on denying an offline installation but now they have it so me thinks arch will succumb soon to.

arch is simply over-hyped i.m.o.

7. linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit-edge What is this for M$ Edge Based Linux Media or something else. I am Confused :confused:

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    Hey @Tiger-1 :)
    Thanks for the tips, seems like debian, mint based (linuxfx), also 2 versions one free and one paid, latest linuxfx dated 27/04/2021, nice project, but you know i like the "basics", yeah Old School Mode Bro.

Ci Ya

windsman.

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep, seems to work I think, however I have not had time to study in more depth I have a small SSD with 128 GB and any time I will install and look deeper and still the funny thing was that when I found one of the developers is from São Paulo lol...:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. it does

12. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    scratch what i posted earlier, you were spot on.

couldn't agree more.

totally agree.

13. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    if there is an official arch offline iso please point me to it.

if it is a tweaked iso or added scripts i will pass.

14. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    a very smart move from arch.

that seems resolved now.

the best part is the automated disk partitioning.

i played with arch for a couple months, got the latest version of every bit of software on my system in not more than 3 days from release & it broke nothing on my rig.