[Closed] [Share] Simple Arch Linux UEFI Install Script

Discussion in 'Linux' started by °ツ, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    All is about DIY at Arch Linux and reading through the Wiki will give you the needed knowledge to do it.

1. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    I have updated my Arch script, see first post.
    Don't hesitate to give this distro a try .

2. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    none of the above worked :(

3. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    & now it does not in which case you need to edit post #2 of this thread.

incorrect / outdated information on mdl especially terminal commands could mess up someone's system.

4. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    I tried now on Void now and it does work.
    The Arch wiki still shows to set NoDisplay=true in the desktop file to hide it and the commands that I posted does that.
    So it should work.

Not sure why it doesn't work for you.

If you are using Cinnamon there is a menu editor which you can use to easily hide apps.

5. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    you are doling out commands for arch linux which have been tested on A void linux!?

agreed but your commands are inauthentic / incomplete.

& once again the commands provided by you do not work on a fresh arch linux installation using the august iso with up to date gnome 42.4 wayland & linux 5.19.7

6. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    & once again the commands provided by you do not work on a fresh arch linux installation using the august iso with up to date gnome 42.4 wayland & linux 5.19.7[/QUOTE]

The way of hiding apps from terminal should be same on all distros.
    I installed Arch now with gnome to test, some of the commands does not work because the names seem to have changed but the way to hide apps is the same.

So:
    dir /usr/share/applications in terminal
    find the app you want to hide and
    echo NoDisplay=true >> /usr/share/applications/APPNAME.desktop
    seems that a log out is necessary.

So I will admit that some of the commands are not working anymore and I am gonna rewrite my old outdated post.
    But you said that none of the above worked which is not true.

7. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    the above line you wrote is totally bizarre.

commands from ubuntu gnome 20.04 are invalid with ubuntu gnome 22.04, both are ubuntu & both are gnome.

commands from fedora 36 gnome will fail on fedora 36 silverblue, both are fedora both are gnome.

out of your 9 commands 7 have the exact same name as written by you so the problem is not the name but the text in the command prior to application name.

sudo required but log out / restart not needed.

told you so.

told you that too.

1 more time, all of the commands to hide applications from the menu posted by you in post #2 do not work.

8. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Lol. You are talking about commands in general?. I never said that any command should be the same on every distro and on every distro version.

I am talking about my echo commands to hide applications in menu.
    It works the same way on Arch, Void, Ubuntu, Fedora etc.
    All those distros are using .desktop files located at /usr/share/applications/.
    So using echo to append text to a desktop file to hide the applications is same on those distros.
    Therefore what I said is not bizarre.

When I tested some apps was still showing in menu until I logged out and logged in again.

And once again you are saying that all the commands did not work? As I said it's not true as I tested them and some were still working.
    There is no problem with text in the command prior to application name.
    echo NoDisplay=true >> /usr/share/applications/APPNAME.desktop is the correct way to do it.

I don't have responsibility to check if anything I posted two years ago still works.
    It's up to someone to chose whether they want to test something that is old and might not still be working.

Anyway I have edited post #2 and I am not gonna argue with you anymore.

9. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    but the rest of the misinformation that i have posted in post #2 i will not update.

10. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    & what i write is the gospel truth hence it stays the same till kingdom comes. exemplary arrogance.

11. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #34 ipx, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    nobody begged you to start a thread with your offerings, you did it voluntarily hence you are obligated to keep the information provided up to date.

are mdl members your lab rats? you want to help others or experiment on them? where is your disclaimer?

this is not about winning an argument, it is about your arrogance. you are misleading others with your misinformed solutions.

like the title of this thread says, you started this to promote your unofficial script & score some brownie points.

neither arch nor linux needs any help from a self-promoter. please do not bother replying.

12. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    #35 °ツ, Sep 14, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2022
    (OP)
    1. Nobody has any obligation to keep their threads up to date. There is tons of outdated information on the internet. So I have no obligations to look up if any of the other information in post #2 still works.

2. What disclaimer? It's common sense to use anything at own risk and to not run any commands without checking up first what it does. I don't need lab rats because what I posted was tested by me at the time of posting.
    I have re installed both Arch and Void after making changes to my scripts to verify that they works as expected.
    Nobody begged me to share anything and nobody begged you to use anything I shared, so.

3. My solutions are not misinformed, the commands posted are just the console/terminal way of hiding applications as described in Arch wiki. If you knew better you would have figured out that you can look in /usr/share/applications/ for the desktop file of the application that you want to hide and then add the name of the desktop file to "echo NoDisplay=true >> /usr/share/applications/" and it would works as expected.

Arch Linux does not need people like you that can't read Arch wiki to find out how to get something done but instead uses two years old commands and then whines that they don't work (which is just partially true).

I don't get anything in return for sharing. I shared it because someone might find it useful. I don't care if anyone will use what I shared or not.