sharing files between xp and win7 machines, how?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kkffiirr, Oct 30, 2009.

1. kkffiirr

kkffiirr MDL Junior Member

Aug 24, 2009
    it used to be simple with xp, i used the wizard, make sure that the two computer were in the same workgroup, shared files, and my laptop and my pc were connected using the wlan.
    (the pc was connected with wire to the router, and my laptop was connected thru the wifi).
    now i installed win7, and i don't know how to do it.
    help please

2. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    well, just a guess, a good guess, hehehe

make a folder for sharing and edit its access permissions to include everyone have full control.

right click the folder, properties, security tab...

good luck
    berdi

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    make sure they are in the same workgroup/subnet and using the same DNS server. If the user names and passwords are the same then you don't need to do anything else if they do not match then you need to add credentials to connect to that machine. Do this by using the following command:

cmdkey /add:servername /user:username /pass:password

That will work or you can go into your credentials vault and add them there.

4. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    to add more to this i currently have a XP Pro laptop and my Desktop 7 and the process i took was painless and easy. I made both computer under the same Workgroup, once that i when to the file i wanted to share and i shared it for everyone within the workgroup and no password require the same. Once that was set from the Windows 7, i when to my XP and search within workgroup, found the 7 and the share folder and i had access to it. The same when for printing. I shared it within 7 and installed the driver through printer search within XP. It took me no more than 5mins at most. If you need more help just PM

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kkffiirr

Aug 24, 2009
    not fully working, but i could gain access from the xp machine to the win7 shared files.
    i was asked for the password at the first time.

but, i still can't get to the xp files from the windows 7, i can't even see the xp's computer password.
    what to do?

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    read that is what to do:

7. kkffiirr

Aug 24, 2009
    i can't figure how to write the command right to enable access to the other computer in my workgroup

"cmdkey /add:servername /user:username /pass:password"

that computer has no password, and it's in the local network

8. MaCaNiX

MaCaNiX MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    sharing - xp & win7

I had the same issue with file & printer sharing
    I eventually found out it was my Kaspersky IS 2010 that was blocking the sharing (something really random about the network settings had to be set to "local")
    So... check that it is not your AV/Firewall blocking the sharing.
    I.e. turn it off and see if it resolves the problem. If it does then go to the makers website for a resolution.

If that is not the issue then go through this link...helped me quite a bit...

duh... can't post links... google this "sharing files between xp and windows 7" and go to the first hit that is the howtogeek(dot)com site

9. kkffiirr

Aug 24, 2009
    nope,
    i am using MSE though,
    problem is that i can't get from the xp machine to the win7 files

10. moe.dudi

moe.dudi MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    #10 moe.dudi, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Enable Microsoft network client: Send unencrypted password to connect to third-party SMB servers

Applie To Windows 7 machine

Description:
    If this security setting is enabled, the Server Message Block (SMB) redirector is allowed to send plaintext passwords to SMB servers that do not support password encryption during authentication.

Default: Disabled.

Configuring this security setting:
    You can configure this security setting by opening the appropriate policy and expanding the console tree as such: (gpedit.msc) \Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings(secpol.msc)\Local Policies\Security Options\

secpol.msc = Start\Control Panel\System and Maintenance\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy
    secpol.msc = Start\All Programs\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy
    secpol.msc = Start\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
    "EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

Attached Files:

11. logonaniket

logonaniket MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2009
  12. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    just cancel the password, it only makes things more difficult, is exactly what i did with mine and i was able to transfer share and printing between XP and 7

13. kkffiirr

Aug 24, 2009
    #13 kkffiirr, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
    (OP)
    i tried to do all above (the LLTD is only for xp sp2 systems, i have sp3), and still i can't get to the xp machine from my 7 machine.
    it also happen when i connect my computer to wired network with network folders, i can't get to anything...