Shortcuts create Desktop.ini file on Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bertikul, Dec 7, 2009.

1. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Hello Everyone

I'm using windows 7, unchecked: "Hide protected operating system files". I need it to be that way. When I create a shortcut on my desktop, a desktop.ini file is created too.
    Please let me know if you have a solution on how to stop the desktop.ini file from coming up.

THANK YOU

2. xhtml

xhtml MDL Member

Jul 15, 2009
    any friend knows pls share the solution cos i ve been facing this problem too?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #3 bertikul, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
    (OP)
    I’m sure I’m not teaching you anything NEW, but if that helps…..

I forgot to say that I got rid of 2 dektop.ini files, showing imediately after unchecking "Hide protected operating system files", by creating a little .cmd file like below and running it as administrator:
    1)
    attrib %systemdrive%\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini -h -s -r
    attrib %systemdrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini -h -s -r
    erase /s /q %systemdrive%\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini
    erase /s /q %systemdrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini

Or delete them manually (the .cmd or .bat file is usefull next time you reinstall windows)

2) Delete the 2 desktop.ini files on the desktop and restart.

It worked for me, they never came back again

The problem is desktop.ini shows back when I create a shortcut.....any help please?

4. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #4 bertikul, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    (OP)
    I think I found the solution. You should also delete:

X:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\desktop.ini

With what i wrote above there will be 3 files to delete. It worked on vista. No more desktop.ini after creating a shortcut.

5. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    On Windows 7 delete:

x:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\desktop.ini

6. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #6 bertikul, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    (OP)
    To make it more simple, the .bat or .cmd file should be like this for seven:
    Right click on .bat file and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR

attrib %systemdrive%\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini -h -s -r
    attrib %systemdrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini -h -s -r
    attrib %systemdrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\desktop.ini -h -s -r

erase /s /q %systemdrive%\users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini
    erase /s /q %systemdrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini
    erase /s /q %systemdrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\desktop.ini

It deletes the 2 desktop.ini created after unchecking "Hide protected operation system files" and the desktop.ini that a shortcut may create. After running the .cmd or .bat, delete manually every desktop.ini on your desktop. restart and it should be OK. At least It worked for me

(delete spaces like in \Mic_rosoft\ or any other spaces)

7. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Did this help anyone? Did it work for you?

8. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #8 bertikul, Dec 16, 2009
    (OP)
    May be that's just a threat here, but I spend 48 hours (I know geeks don't need that) to figure out the problem. How come that NOONE that had the same problem NEVER said just a Little "THANKS'. Saying that, I had lots and lots of issues about windows, and I found solutions in diferents forums, and I'm so thankfull, - always thanked people that gave me a solution-. They helped me so much. We just try to help each-other, and I wish it will never end. I'm NOT CRYING OVER THAT AND I'LL NEVER DO. I'm Writing from Albania, I'll try to JUST HELP PEOPLE FOREVER IF I CAN DO SO.
    GREETINGS BERTI

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    what is the point every time you move an a shortcut or change menus new desktop ini file will get created those files are there for a reason to remeber your desktop and folder settings

10. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #10 bertikul, Dec 16, 2009
    (OP)
    If you need these files, just let them be there. If you dont, than create a .bat file with the text below, and after that delete every desktop.ini file manualy as shown, and you will not have them on the desktop. The point is not to have any desktop.ini on desktop. If you need them, than don't do any changes, there is no point to delete these files if there is a need to use them. Very symple, If you don't want them on the desktop, follow the guide below.
    You realy need these desktop.ini files - DO NOTHING. let them where they are
    Just trying to help, because I don't need to do anything with these files. I JUST FOUND A WAY TO DELETE THEM, that's all

11. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Actually those files are completely utterly useless.

Ever opened one of them?

If not, this is the desktop.ini from the desktop on HomePremium:

Looks very important, doesnt it?

One single icon referenced, and god only knows what it actually relates to...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Yea, they are there to make changes on desktop icons if we really need to do that. But if we don't. then we get rid of them. There are so many many people around the world that don't want/or don't know what to do with desktop.ini files. Then you just read the above post

13. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Not so much a matter of if you need them, but the OS. The desktop folders use a custom folder icon, so it'll get a desktop.ini file made for them. This goes for any folder. The desktop pulls icons from your desktop folder, plus the public desktop folder, so you'll typically see two of them.

If it really bugs you, just turn off viewing system files. (Hidden can be left on if you prefer.) They're system files; either you'll see them all, or none at all. Day to day usage I really can't think of a reason you'd need to see the system files anyway.

There's a little shell extension called "SpiritPyre's Hidden File Toggle Extension" I find pretty useful when the need comes up; adds a toggle to your right click menu to let you enable/disable viewing hidden files. Just throwing that out as a timesaver, I use that one occasionally. (That and HashTab, another super handy one..)

14. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    #14 bertikul, Dec 16, 2009
    (OP)
    yes, desktop.ini files are needed to change any desktop existing icon, if we need to do so. If we don't, than we just delete them, so we don't see them on the desktop. If you REALLY need them on you desktop, then forget everything on this thread

15. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Short answer: it's not a bug, it's an OS feature. :D Vista has the same behavior.

16. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    YES they are there for some reason. The reason is to change x desktop file if we realy want or need to. My thread here intends to JUST delete desktop.ini files from the desktop. A BIG problem for many users. Users that don't realy need to make changes to any desktop.ini icon. Otherwise, just ignor my threat. Keep your Desktop.ini files on your desktop and use them for icon changes. Thanks

17. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    I know how to hide or show "hide protected operation system files". I don't have to justify this: I need and I want that enabled. I NEED "hide protected operation system files" to be activated.
    The desktop.ini files on the desktop disterb me. Surfing on the net I found out that it disturbs a lot of people. I'm JUST trying to help them.
    Once again, these files are there for a reason. IF YOU REALY NEED THESE FILES, JUST let them be there.
    YUO will loose nothing if you don't want them on the desktop

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ bertikul,
    Why is that ?

19. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Well to be honest why doesn't matter. His system, his choice. Just saying Windows is going to keep re-creating those files by design. System files are either all on, or all off. If you keep system files shown, you're going to see them. End of story. Explorer doesn't have a mechanism to exclude files like Nautilus and the like.

So, you basically have three options.

1) Just deal with it.
    2) Turn off desktop icons entirely, and use an alternate method for icons, say widgets, a dock or whatever.
    3) Get a shell extension to handle the desktop icons.

For example, Stardock Fences has a freebie version. You can make a fence for the two desktop.ini files, turn off the fence name visibility, and shove it under your taskbar where you'll never see it. Even if you do an auto-arrange of your icons, they'll stay down there where you can't see them.

20. bertikul

bertikul MDL Member

Nov 2, 2007
    If you need these files, just let them be there. If you dont, than create a .bat file with the text below, and after that delete every desktop.ini file manualy as shown, and you will not have them on the desktop. The point is not to have any desktop.ini on desktop. If you need them, than don't do any changes, there is no point to delete these files if there is a need to use them. Very symple, If you don't want them on the desktop, follow the guide below.
    You realy need these desktop.ini files - DO NOTHING. let them where they are
    Just trying to help, because I don't need to do anything with these files. I JUST FOUND A WAY TO DELETE THEM, that's all