Should companies be allowed to monitor their staff's use of business phone and comput

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nancy Koma, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    According to a survey by the Privacy Foundation, more than one-third of U.S. employees are electronically monitored while they are at work. An increasing number of employers are checking their workers' emails and Internet use. It is worth mentioning that this monitoring technology does reduce the personal use of business phones and computers, however employee monitoring reveals other problems at work as well. Every year, thousands of lawsuits are brought by employees because of privacy invasion. I am here and just wanna listen to you guys' opinions about this. Should companies be allowed to monitor their staff's use of business phone and computer in the office?

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    This should be in Chit Chat or Serious Discussion, not MAC OS forum.

Welcome to MDL :D

3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It depends. If you are doing it from your own phone at work, then no, they shouldn't be allowed to monitor.
    If they are monitoring your private email usage, that's debatable. You gotta look at it from their perspective.
    If an employee is leaking company proprietary information over company internet, well then it's kind of expected that the company would stop it.

Honestly, I just would never recommend doing anything private like that in a workspace, because there is no expectation of privacy.
    It's their internet, their phones, their rules. If you don't like it, try to find somewhere else that will let you watch youtube videos and check facebook all day.
    I doubt anywhere that had a problem with people separating private and working life would let people get away with stuff like that.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    im glad i work from home and all they monitor is my face with webcam... to make sure m not drinking i guess. :clap:

5. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    i have been on hundreds of networks, over the years.. i have never trusted any of them.
    just sometimes, when you happen to have a decent personal working relationship with ict guys,
    who you actually know, it may be different. as for privacy issues on corporate networks,
    don`t make me laugh...;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes it depends, like murphy78 said. I am working in a research lab...:eek:

One should not forget that one is using corporate property.
    But what I expect is that the company makes very clear to me (as their employee) what they exactly monitor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    yes, holland is pretty free, in that respect, in most networks i was in, they made it very clear what they would keep their
    noses out off.. but there have been some nice surprises, over the years, like for instance when i was logged in at huawei..
    i knew there were guys monitoring the network 24/7.. never any trouble... i think on us corporate networks it could be different.. :D

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Some brainstorming...:)

The company has to protect their privacy / data.
    I want to have my privacy / data protected.

I can be friend (a perfect employee) or I can be enemy by stealing corporate secrets, data!
    Outside can be 'data enemies' to me and the company.

So banking for instance is safe here, probably safer than at home. But banking is private interest, so it is unwanted. Internet access can be logged.

To phone is probably safer than at home, but I could talk about corporate secrets so the company can record it.

No problem I just need to know that all and there should be trust.

9. Ilin Joss

Ilin Joss MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2014
    Well, many people think now that companies pay for employees and they have rights to do like that. Many of them use popular monitoring software to monitor employees’ cell phone such as iKeyMonitor. They use it to know their texts, phone calls and record emails and so on. But in my opinion, I don’t think it is a good idea for people have privacies. Sometimes we just don’t want more people know ourselves things.

10. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    Should companies be allowed to monitor their staff's use of business phone

Yes, I am so sorry. But I have no idea and I don’t know how to do.

11. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    Should companies be allowed to monitor their staff's use of business phone and compu

Yeah, everything has two sides. I just don't want them to monitor my private things. It makes me uncomfortable. Thank you for your advice. I will take it.

12. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    Uh, you really sure they just want to monitor if you are drinking?

13. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    So, what's your suggestion?

14. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    Yes, I think it is quite necessary. They should tell us what they monitor in order to avoid having a feeling of uncomfort.

15. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    Of course, I know they have their reasons. But they should tell us what kind of content they monitor. I feel so uncomfortable by monitoring in secret.

16. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    Yeah, I think you are totally right. I don't like it either.

17. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    I heard that many monitoring software are not very safe. Is that true?

18. Nancy Koma

Nancy Koma MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2014
    To be honest, I don't like it either.

19. Jingle Beru

Jingle Beru MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2014
    Well, employers have their reasons to do like that because many employees are doing something that is unrelated to work during the working time. So maybe the boss just want to know what they are doing and do not intend to disturb their privacy.

20. DonLapeno

DonLapeno MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2011
    You're on my networkusing my companies resources, yes, i have the right to monitor you if needed. Don't like it, don't do questionable things using work resources.

But, the only time that info is reviewed is if someone is slacking off and a manager asks me for it, but everything we do is logged from our UTM to our mail server.

But your personal phone - could care less what you do on it.