Should I choose Windows 10 Home or Pro, Professional, given eligible for both?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by IAmAPC, Jun 30, 2016.

1. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    What sort of madness is this? Professional man, why opt for less features and control?

4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    +1

There is nothing to think about here. If anything, I would only install the Pro edition to have the Group Policy Editor. Without it, it's really difficult to tame this OS. :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I run Pro, and have never changed anything using Group Policy Editor. What would you want to change? So really it is your choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #6 endbase, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    I often run to the Loo do if it was my choice I would go with the Poo version

Ps just being silly go for Pro ofcourse

7. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Trying to decide between a free 1980 Ford Pinto and a 2016 Cadillac CTS-V. sure the Cadillac is FAST, but Nothing Explodes line a Pinto when hit from the rear. :eek:

Bat Troll Two :)

Pro also has extras like Bitlocker and Hyper-V. I don't have any plans to upgrade My Win 8.1 Core laptop since the GPUs aren't DX12 capable o_O and even If they were :31: I have a extra drive running Win 10 Home with the Digital License, But I'd upgrade to Win 10 Pro instead of Home If I ever decide to run Win 10.

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Well if you choose Home then your limited to only 128GB of ram. Pro supports up to 2TB.
    So why be crippled, choose Pro. :p

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  10. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Here is what I disable using Group Policy Editor:

1- Do not show "new application installed" pop-up when installing a new program

2- Prevent computer from connecting to a homegroup (no disabling the service entirely is not advisable as it makes my computer sometimes not appear on the network, thus thus rule is awesome as it lets me forget about Homegroup yet not mess up my network connectivity)

3- Disable Windows Defender

4- Disable "preserve zone info in attachments" so that files downloaded from the internet are not blocked by default

5- Disable System Restore

6- Disable Windows Error Reporting

7- Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Previews

:shisha:

11. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Gentlemen (hello ladies, if you are lurking around),

I reviewed your answers, which still don't answer my most crucial concerns.

2 possible pros for the Home Edition:

Battery life is important. Disk space can be imporant on those modern, cheap, small machines, such as stick PCs and 'cloudbooks,' some SSDs. You and I can never know on what hardware I might want to install the OS some time later.

1 possible pro for the Pro Edition:

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I've already replied to your question.

There is NO POINT to use the home version, less control, less features, same (if not more) resources occupied.

Frankly seem like you have already your idea (a wrong idea) and you are just looking for someone that confirms it rather than a good answer.

13. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    He expects a different edition of the same OS to give him better battery life! LOL :tea:

14. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Really? Where? I can't see it. I reviewed all 13 posts so far in this thread, and this was your first.

By the Home requiring same or more resources, do you mean battery life on a laptop or disk space? It's interesting though! It was just kind of unintuitive for me, but whatever.

No. It was truly meant to be an open ended question. If Professional requires less resources either in battery life or disk space, I can accept that, I can roll with that.

You replied this to T-S' post who claimed exactly that. Or something like that. Makes sense, if in one edition more processes are running, right?

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Indeed it was another thread where you asked the exact same thing.

Resources, in general. Same storage space same RAM and CPU used.

Actually the less demanding version as today is Server 2016, because it comes with less services installed, no metro apps, has a less invasive telemetry, has the crappy defender uninstallable by the server manager and so on. But it takes more disk space because the optional server features. Then there is the Enterprise S/LTSB , then pro and home that are roughly to the same level

Whatever. Deploying each version you want to compare on a native VHD is matter of 5 minutes per installation, just do it and look at the results by yourself

16. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Putting it all together, I'm now very intrigued: what do you mean by 10 Home uses more resources if it uses the same CPU, RAM, and disk space? :p

Well, is Server 2016 accessible in a similarly easy fashion like Home or Pro? I don't know about this. If Enterprise were available (last time I checked, it was not), I would choose that in a heartbeat, for the Windows on the Go USB option.

I had to Google this acronym, it is not known by average people, but if you imply trying Windows 10 as a virtual machine, no, I don't have the resources for that at hand now (RAM, CPU, big, fast SSD). Later (read: well after July 29th) will. Thanks for the tips!

17. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    Resource usage, along with battery life, etc., etc. is quite likely the same between Home and Pro. However, with Group Policy Editor being available in Pro, you have the control in your hands to make it even more efficient and also to limit privacy related concerns. Pro is the only answer in the debate between Home and Pro. You can tame that beast with Pro much easier and to your individual liking.

18. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    [Meta: LOL, I became such an important person here, that even my posts are not visible without logging in? whatever.]

Long story short, I'd truly appreciate any info on Windows 10 server, what is it, how it differs from Windows 10 desktop, how Daz users can or cannot upgrade, is it lightweight software, as per my wishlist in post #1? Thank you!