Should I downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Kdas, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Kdas

Kdas MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2016
    #1 Kdas, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Hello everyone,

I have a 3 yr old HP Laptop which came with Windows 8.1. I upgrade to Windows 10 and it was working fine, no driver problem whatsoever. I have used Windows 10 for around 6 months.

Due to my own carelessness, I have got some malware on my system and I want to reinstall Windows. I deal with sensitive data and I don't want to take any chances.

Now, the real problem - I never got used to Windows 10 interface. This "new age" interface, which looks like a ported OS from mobiles and tablets makes me seriously uncomfortable. I miss Aero, I dislike the flat theme, I absolutely hate tiles etc. I really, really miss the looks of Windows 7.:( Basically, the only reason I want to reinstall Windows 7 is aesthetics.

Question - Should I do a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate (pirated copy from this forum) OR should I use the "Reset PC - Delete all files" option and continue to use Windows 10?

I am NOT a computer wizard. I do not want any driver problems. I can comfortably install torrents and cracks, edit host files etc but I do not want to spend an eternity troubleshooting windows and drivers. Also there is no decent computer support in the area I live, I am on my own. And I need to get back to work within 12-15 hours MAXIMUM, hence it's urgent.

I am sorry for bothering you all. But please help and suggest. I can't decide what to do.

Thanks

2. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Do whatever your comfortable with.

3. Kdas

Kdas MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2016
    Are driver problems likely if I install Windows 7?

4. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013

Have a look on the manufactures website for drivers. They shouldn't be a problem.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    image the drive and find out. if things go south, restore the image. bing bang done

6. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    o_O You got Malware on a PC that You "Use for sensitive data" by installing cracks from torrents :g:You "can't decide what to do". :g:

Bat Not even gonna say what him thinks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Kdas

Kdas MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2016
    Actually the malware was immediately identified by my AV and kicked out. The system is now probably clean. I very rarely get malware from torrents...I know what am doing. But still i decided to either reset or reformat because I didn't want to take any chances.

My statement of can't decide what to do was more rhetorical. It was about choice between 7 and 10. Not about taking any crucial decision. Put it simply - My head says Win 10 but my heart says Win 7.

Thanks

8. Kdas

Kdas MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2016
    UPDATE:

I have backed up my files and have bitten the bullet. Downloaded the Windows 7 Pro ISO and currently installing it. Hope everything goes well, keeping my fingers crossed. :worthy: Thanks for the help everyone.

P.S: Download Windows 7 Pro instead of Ultimate because Pro is supposed to be easier to activate. For normal users, both are same anyway.

9. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    That's a Personal Choice only You can make. I multi-boot all My PCs. With My own laptop which I spend 16-18 hours a Day running, I do it using small SSDs in a caddy that replaces the optical drive. The stock mechanical drive was left in place and it's a clone of My Win 8.1 "Daily Driver" with the rest of the HDD partitioned for storage. I have VMWare Workstation installed on all the Win 7, 8.1 and 10 OS drives and put the actual VM on the storage drive. So no matter what OS I'm running, I don't have any problem finishing something I may have started using Win 10 as the Host using Win 7 as the Host.

Win 7 is still a rock solid stable OS and there's nothing wrong with using it. It's advisable to install it on another HDD, or partition on the Win 10 HDD to make sure You won't have any driver problems first :)

EDIT: See You've already started. Good Luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. gamazet

gamazet MDL Senior Member

Sep 26, 2009
    #10 gamazet, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    For drivers I'm using excellent program TweakBit Driver Updater. It finds everything, no errors.

11. Kdas

Kdas MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2016
    UPDATE: Got back to Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit. :p Everything is working fine. :biggrin: Very happy. Phew, i really missed it.

I have understood one thing though. I will never fully accept the direction MS and Apple is taking with the Desktop OS. Windows is clearly going towards a completely unified OS (without compromising performance), and even OSX is beginning to look more like the desktop version of iOS. Those jarring cartoonish colors and icons beside OSX Snow Leopard....sigh. I will not accept tablet OS aesthetics on my desktop.

Life of Windows 7 is now limited. A few years maximum. I really need to learn Linux. Have been putting that off for eternity, but now is the time.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Many of us started to get used with 'Linux' for similar reasons.
    You are welcome anytime when you have questions about. :)

Glad you got happy with 7 again. :)
    I am dual booting w7 and linux mint cinnamon 64bit. I have got all I need...and I am happy as well...:)

13. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    well.. im considering rolling back to 7 too..

my machine is working fine with 10 pro, but I was thinking... "wait. i dont use any universal app (ok, except adobe reader for 10), my apu does not have dx12, I dont like forced updates (even if im getting used to it, but still.. hey, i want to have control)... maybe ill be back on 7 this weekend.. :( just need to find a place to grab the iso in pt-br as Ive losted my isos..

14. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
  15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Seem that your problems with W10 are related to the UI, not the privacy.

The UI is easy to fix.

Just use Classic Shell for the start menu (that one is a nice to have on W7 as well), aero 8 to get back the transparencies, and eventually a W7 theme if you like the rounded windows.

You can also use the LTSB version which is free from any metro crap, alternatively you can get a "ghetto LTSB" which is a HOME/PRO cleaned by the spyware and metro crap using MSMG.

The only feature that W10 lacks over W7 OS the XP mode (it can be emulated by the seamless mode in Virualbox or Unity in VMware)

16. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    OP misspelled "upgrade".

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012

Grmmaer plocie?

18. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    No it's called a joke, a quite rare phenomenon on MDL

19. l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t MDL Addicted

Dec 6, 2012
  20. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    I also can still 2 ways are to keep windows 7 pro or Ultimate and you can use VMWARE or sandbox VM to use Windows 10 (Virtual Machine need serious RAM!!) and or 2nd option is DUAL Boot!! Whatever works out. I use VMWARE on Windows 10 Pro !! WINK!

ATGPUD2003