Should I flash Gateway's new UEFI bios?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mc510, Apr 6, 2013.

1. mc510

mc510 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    My Gateway SX2855 SFF desktop has (very lame) AMI aptio bios, with SLIC 2.1 built in.

Gateway has just posted a new bios called "BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)." There's no documentation at all. I'm a bit curious to try this out and see if it works better than the original bios, but I'm a little bugged out by the whole UEFI thing.

If I flash the UEFI bios, can I flash back to the original aptio bios? Should I expect the UEFI bios to properly activate my Win8 installation, and will it care that I replaced the original Win8 Home with Win8 Ultimate? Any reason I shouldn't try the new UEFI bios?

Both bios are here fwiw support.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3745

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. uuufo

uuufo MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    Sorry to revive such an old thread, just wondering if you ever found a way to do this? I have this same system and need a legacy boot option which seems to be locked in this bios version.

Thanks!

4. mc510

mc510 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    I did not find a way to do it, and I think I concluded that either it's not possible or it wouldn't be beneficial in any way. Don't recall for sure. BTW, I'm not sure why my original post references Win8 ... this computer is on Win7.