Should I install the provided drivers anymore?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ineedh3lp, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ineedh3lp

ineedh3lp MDL Junior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Hello!

I have recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    If I check device manager all devices are recognized.

Does it make any sense trying to install drivers provided by the manufacturer of the motherboard?
    (I will install the ones for the video board from the vendor's site, but I am wondering about the mother board)

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Depending on how old your PC is, if its a few years old, i would leave as it is, IF yo have a newer PC - Go for the Vendors Drivers as these sometimes are newer than offered by windows setup.

3. ineedh3lp

Jan 17, 2011
    The motherboard is an ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution... it's a couple years old. So I guess I'll leave it like that then.

Thanks.

4. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    Yeah you should leave it as it is,because if you use the wrong drivers your pc might stop working

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    You should install graphics card drivers as you mentioned. You could also try doing the same for audio and/or LAN if you feel adventurous. But certainly don't try updating the chipset drivers unless you really into this stuff. If that goes wrong, it will possibly affect all others (it happened to me few years back). Having said that, it would be a very good idea sticking with "if it ain't broke, don't fix" ;)

And if you eventually decide to go ahead, make sure you create a restore point first...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    x86,
    If he isn´t that experienced with Pc´s and makes a little mistake his pc will stop working,if it´s not necessary he should leave it.
    My friend wanted to update his drivers,he even went to his manufacturers website and installed the correct drivers,but still his Pc stopped working,at the end he had to change his motherboard.
    So if it´s not important leave it

7. ineedh3lp

Jan 17, 2011
    It's just a fresh install on a 120GB SSD. I'm currently operating on my old Windows 7 installation, but slowly making the transition to the one on the SSD. Just wanted to hear your opinions on this (thanks for the replies).

And nero, I think you're exaggerating a bit there. I've been handling computers (both hardware and software for 10 years) and I have never heard of computers malfunctioning due to improper driver installation.
    You're probably referring to messing with BIOS updates and such.

8. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    Do as you want,but wrong drivers can kill your computer.
    The sound and modem drivers may not create a big error,but they can cause IRQ errors during startup too.
    It´s up to you.
    I wasn´t talking about BIOS,i was talking about Drivers.