Should I install Windows 7 on Acer Travelmate 2434LCi?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by J4mmy, Nov 6, 2012.

1. J4mmy

J4mmy MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2011
    I would really like to upgrade my OS from Windows XP Professional to Windows 7 on my only laptop: Acer Travelmate 2434LCi but I'm not quite sure if it's the right choice. Please tell me if I should do it or not.

Specs:
    Intel Celeron M 380 1.6GHz, 400MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache
    60GB HDD 4200 RPM
    1,5GB DDR 333MHz

If I should not, please advice me with cheap upgrades to make the laptop perform better?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    What you should do is what you want to do. Have you checked the Acer website to see if there are Windows 7 drivers available for your model? If there are, then you just need to make a decision.

I prefer 7 to XP and many on this forum do. But when it comes to "should" only you can decide.

3. J4mmy

J4mmy MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2011
    While that is very much true indeed, what I was asking was would the specs of this laptop be enough to run Windows 7 smoothly without any problems?

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    I would personally leave windows XP on it considering you have such low CPU specifications. A Celeron is not a very good CPU to begin with. Windows 7 alone require 1 GB minimum to run also.

5. J4mmy

J4mmy MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2011
    Oh well, I guess I'll just leave it running WinXP then. Thanks for the information! :)

6. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Anytime :biggrin:

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #7 PhaseDoubt, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
    According to my quick search of the Acer website, Windows XP is the only supported OS and only those drivers are available. But, I'm running, very successfilly, Windows 7 on two rather low end Netbooks (Asus and Toshiba) so you may be able to run it acceptably well on your computer with just the drivers Windows provides.

You might find more info on your computer by visiting the Acer website, doing your own more extensive search on your model and seeing all they might have to say. You can also contact Acer and pose your question to them. There may be unpublished Windows 7 drivers.

But based solely on what I found on the Acer website, and your machine's rather low end cpu, I agree with anarchist9027; you should not attempt an installation of Windows 7.

8. Ahmad Nawaz

Ahmad Nawaz MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2012
    Stick with Windows XP. As these specs will not be able to run windows 7 smoothly.
    :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Procrastinus

Procrastinus MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2012
    I am running Windows 7 very successfully on a Dell D610 which seem to have similar specs to your Acer. I used a Vista driver for the graphics card, but that was the only driver needed. Try going to the Acer TravelMate 2430 Series on the Acer support page and you will find a Vista driver there
    You could try getting a second cheap hard drive on e-Bay, swap over the drives and trying an install on the new one. Then your original XP installation will be safe. If you permanently swap over then you will also have a second backup drive!
    You can't lose really!