Should I just give up trying to Activate Dell Vista SP1?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Lexviticus, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Lexviticus

Lexviticus MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2008
    #1 Lexviticus, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    I've spent several weeks off and on searching this and many other forums as well as sifting through piles of cracks and activators that seem to work for others. This originally was a Dell OEM XP Home box. I am coming to the conclusion that it has to have something to do with the BIOS as to why this won't activate after SP1, but not finding a whole lot of info on Dell mods. I think it's a Pheonix BIOS, but not sure how to extract any more info than that. I've tried several versions of Vista as in the Preactivated, 18in1 Activated, first RTM, OEM, etc... Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction, or perhaps save me some stress and just tell me to give up as it aint never gonna happen...

Thanks,
    Lex

2. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    Don't give up yet. Please upload a backup image of your BIOS. I mean the actual backup image of your BIOS from the computer that you want to activate and not a link of a BIOS update from the Dell site. There are several ways to make a backup of your BIOS. If you are not familiar with making a backup of your BIOS, let me know, I will post directions.

3. Lexviticus

Lexviticus MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2008
    Thanks for replying reginakampher, I am not familiar with how to backup this BIOS. I will however try and figure it out while I await your instructions. I don't want to give up as I do like challenges, just unsure if it's a lost cause...

4. ShadowXhawk

ShadowXhawk MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    hey friend, i was in just the same problem as you only a couple days ago. my main problem was basically finding a modded bios for my machine (i have the vostro 1310). petar was nice enough to make the modifications for me, and i have tested it to be working 100%.

after updating your bios to the new one all you have to do is insert the oem certificates from dell (downloadable on this forum) and insert the oem key for whichever version of vist you want (do it after vista installation tho, just skip the cdkey part when installing the os!)

5. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
  6. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Your bios seems to be a Phoenix bios.
    Cuting several bytes from the begining makes it recognizable to PBE, but the size of the bios is the problem.

So make a dump using HWDirect.
    Open HWDirect and go to "Memory Dump".
    In the Adress box enter FFF00000
    In the Size box enter 100000
    press Dump.

Right click into window, select all, right click again, copy. Paste as new file into winhex. (Open winhex and press Shift + insert key) Make sure ASCII-hex is selected. Save file and upload, please!
    To get Hwdirect to run under 64 bit, press F8 at startup and disable driver enforcement. This will last for one session only and allows Hwdirect to run.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
  9. Lexviticus

Lexviticus MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2008
    Thanks for trying petar. I didn't have my hopes up too high. :cool:

10. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Played with the file for an hour...
    The file is recognized by PBE, but its size remains to make problems.

Just to confirm is your system Dimension 5100 ?

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Interesting thread! I’ll have a look later on at the backup bios file.
    There is a way to make a manual mod, like ‘the lenovo’ way without to rebuild the bios with PBE.

12. reginakampher

Apr 5, 2008
    What is the "Lenovo way"? Can you explain if you don't mind. Thanks Yen

13. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #17 petar, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  14. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    #18 offon7544, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  15. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    @reginakampher

Is there anything I can do with my Intel BIOS? I would really like to look into it but I don't know where to start!

16. Lexviticus

Lexviticus MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2008
    Yes it is. Thanks for looking further into it petar.

I appreciate your interest in this thread Yen.