Should I reformat C: with new install or let windows do it's thing?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sandipandi, Jun 8, 2010.

1. sandipandi

sandipandi MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2010
    I let it do it's thing, so to speak, and it puts old windows files in windows.old or w/e....

Should I reformat the drive, in case I had some files on there that are infected? I noticed that some of my settings, well - my icons, for certain folders, were still intact, like one of my non C drive folders on other drives had my custom icons I picked for them. Just how much stuff/settings is left behind with installing windows this way? I guess I should just reformat.

I don't think I had any viruses but who knows, might as well start fresh...kind of annoying though to eat up another 2 hours installing it again.

BTW I used the bios mod and it validates :D

Woo!

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    When in doubt, reformat. Easy to do and much lesser headaches (of course, installing softwares and customisation) can be a pain, but worth it. Be sure to (a) back up your non-OS data and docs (b) make a system image immediately after activated OS and updates install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. King_Jay16

King_Jay16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    if u want to properly remove windows.old folder, use disk clean up, select the C drive when it scans it and gives u the options to select what you want to delete, look at the bottom of that dialogue box u should see "clean system files" clcik that rescan your C drive and then in the options u will see, Previous Windows installation, tick it and it will delet the windows old folder and everything in it