Should I renew my technet membership?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by choliscott, Apr 21, 2011.

1. choliscott

choliscott MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

My technet membership is coming up for renewal in the next few weeks & I am trying to decide if I should renew or not, so I had a few questions.

1) How many days after my subscription expires can i renew at the cheaper rate? I thought I read somewhere it's 30 days

2) Has anybody recently had any issues with keys no longer working "right after" their subscription expired.

3) Does eventually the MS renewal group stop calling ? What I like is they said to call them if I already renewed so they can remove me from their list.

4) MS sent me a renewal letter with a promo code on it, which didn't do anything when I went thru part of the renewal process. Does this promo code extend the renewal rate (so I have more time to decide)

5) I know some people only renew when something is going to be coming out & others renew regardless. If you renew regardless, what are some of the reasons that you renew ?

Overall I will probably renew my membership, just trying to decide if I want to stay with the $250 renewal or downgrade to the $149 renewal & if to renew now or wait until the last minute before I can't get renewal pricing

Thanks

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Keys are yours wether the technet account expires or not:)

I think you perhaps should renew it if you havent got all software you need. If you already have what you need and possiblt might need in the future then atleast I woudnt renew it.

3. Weedy

Weedy MDL Member

Mar 9, 2011
    as I understand it, if you renew you don't get a new set of keys. if that is the case, I wouldn't renew yet. just wait till something else you want comes out then but technet standard fresh. also, generate all your old codes before it expires

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    This is the best option. Download everything that you may require and then some more, and also generate keys. Perhaps a late-2012 fresh buy would be great (expected windows 8 and office newer version) if you are looking at desktop software.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...