Should I update to Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by stony, Jan 15, 2012.

1. stony

stony MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Hello everyone, I am currently using my Dell laptop that is still running on XP, and I wanted to upgrade to 7. I used the Microsoft upgrade checker tool and it said that I can run it, but I'm not sure if I should. I don't want a slow computer and my computer is near the edge of the minimum requirements for W7. I have Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, 1GB ram and integrated video card. The only apps I use are Firefox, skype, and mcafee anti-virus. So my question to you folks is, should I upgrade to W7?

Thank you.

2. Kido

Kido MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2011
    The answer is Yes as well as No. You can upgrade to Windows 7 but try upgrading RAM 1st, to atleast 2 GB if possisble(More is better).

3. stony

stony MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Thanks for the help guys!

So can I get a 2GB RAM stick and then just add it to the 1 GB that I have right now on my latitude D630?

Also I read that some people say you can use USB drives as RAM, but others say you can't. Can you or can't you?

Thanks.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. stony

stony MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Er sorry does that mean that if I upgrade to W7 and set up this readyboost, will I not need the ram upgrade?

6. stony

stony MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Okay I'm gonna order this: crucial/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=CA89563EA5CA7304 does it look okay? (add .com after "crucial")

Also can I install and use W7 on my current setup while I wait for the RAM to arrive?

7. stevemk14ebr

stevemk14ebr MDL Senior Member

Jun 23, 2010
    to elaborate on readyboost, ram first then readyboost readyboost is more of a redneck ssd than ram

8. stony

stony MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Okay sorry but oneeeeeeee last question :p

I'll be using a USB boot drive to install and in the tutorial thread, it says that not all motherboards are compatible with USB boot launch. How do I check whether mine is compatible or not?

9. stony

stony MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Okay just ran into a little snag trying to use easy transfer on my vista desktop (which I'm also upgrading to 7). I get an error because my Vista glitched up awhile ago and has said my Vista isn't genuine ever since (even though it came with the PC, straight from Dell o_O)

All I want to keep is my Firefox bookmarks/saved passwords, pictures, music and office documents. Can I just save all these manually? And if so, where would I find my firefox stuff?

Thanks.

10. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    yess you can do all manually.
    For FIREFOX u need to go under BOOKMARKS and use option backup and export.
    Then you will have to just import to your new browser.

11. stony

stony MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    I'm not THAT bad with computers! :p I have 2 PCs I'm trying to upgrade, my XP laptop and my vista desktop. I did download the right version for each, respectively. The error I get is "You're currently logged on using a temporary profile. Restart your computer and try again." I tried restarting, but to no avail. Any idea?