Should I use DAZ Windows Loader or Microsoft Toolkit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spackle, Dec 23, 2013.

1. spackle

spackle MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Hello good folks,

I've done some research on this topic, but I have not yet found out what will fit my system. I have used the DAZ Win Loader for several years now on Win 7 Ultimate x64 on my laptop and haven't had ANY problems with it. Now I have a new system but I understand that some complications may arise. My new system is consisting of a Gigabyte UEFI DualBIOS, 120GB SSD for OS installation and a 1TB HDD for data. If I'm right, to use the DAZ Loader I need to convert my SSD into MBR prior to Win installation. I'm a bit worried that I may not be able to fully convert back at a later time, so I'm considering using Microsoft Toolkit instead. With Microsoft Toolkit I can install Win 7 without doing any tweeks, right? If the Toolkit only activates Windows for 180 days it's not a problem for me to just run it again after six months. Making an exception in AVG for the AutoKMS exe file is not a problem either. So will this method using the Toolkit work? I'm not comfortable making tweeks in the command prompt for new drives, so if the Toolkit option work with UEFI boards, I would rather do that. Any input on this topic I appreciate :D

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If you want to keep the system as EFI then your options are to request a BIOS mod (very easy for Gigabyte systems) or you could use MS Toolkit. The difference between the two is that with the BIOS mod once it's applied that's it, you can be permanently activated and no software will ever need to run on the system to activate you. With MS Toolkit, however, it will require you to install either Windows 7 Pro or Enterprise and the software will run every so often to keep the system activated.

Neither a BIOS mod or MS Toolkit will require you to modify your partition layout.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spackle

spackle MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. Will the MS Toolkit be demanding on the system? I have been using that for Office for some years as well but I don't know how different it is for activating Windows. But requesting a BIOS mod might be a little bit risky? I guess converting my SSD will be less dicey than flashing BIOS? Will I be able to convert back to GPT if I want UEFI at a later point?

I have not yet tested my system, but what option will I need to use in BIOS? I read your instructions of Booting from disk without UEFI but i guess it is formulated a bit different in my BIOS? Legacy Boot or something?

4. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. spackle

spackle MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    As much as the BIOS mod is recommended, I'm most comfortable with the thought of pre-formatting the SSD using your instructions. Reformatting it later if re-converting doesn't bother me. Unless I can use my old Win 7 Home Prem key printed under my laptop (not in use atm) for my new system, I think converting my disk will bother me least. A few seconds longer booting time due to your Win Loader will not be much of a problem with a new SSD. Many times better than my current laptop anyways.

6. spackle

spackle MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Just a little extra question. Will the activator adapted for use on UEFI boards, or will it never work?

7. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I can understand that, given that it's new hardware. That is after all why the loader exists, so that people don't have to risk bricking their hardware.

The loader won't ever support UEFI systems as it'd require a total recode. That plus with Windows 8 removing the OEM SLP license channel it'd mean that not many people will bother using a UEFI loader when they can just install Windows 8 and activate it with KMS.

There's a loader known as WindSLIC UEFI, but it's kind of been abandoned and results are mixed.

You might be able to use that if you activate the system over the phone.

8. spackle

spackle MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    I might try to activate my old key via the phone first unless it's bound to my laptop's motherboard. But I seriously doubt that Microsoft keep their lines open on the 25th.

Anyways, thanks for your great replies and have a Merry Christmas