Should the "Volume Shadow Copy Service" be activated?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ThomasMann, Dec 2, 2022.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I just read an article about the Volume Shadow Copy Service, and when I checked, I saw it was "stopped".

I have big HDD added to the "work-SSD", and the Volume Shadow Copy Service will autmatically defraggel all discs....
    Are there disadvantages when I activate it?

Thank you

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    VSS is related to restore points and backups, not defragmentation

as long as it's not disabled, it's fine, it does not need to be running all the time

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Thank you, that sounds just fine. I use external HDDs as backups and the restore points work fine, when needed.
    I just re-installed my yearly macrium clone, with all additions, I guess I can live without VS-copies a while longer...

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If your making your backups offline then you don't need it but while online it allows you to take backup copies or snapshots of computer files or volumes whether in use or not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Whatever I want to keep of my downloaded files, they are copied to an external hdd.
    When I clean install my OS (about once a year) I add all the drivers and the really necessary software, and then make a new macrium copy to an old SSD for next time. Intsalling that clone only takes a few minutes, plus downloading a few updates and installing. I think this is a great system, a works very well. Not once have I had a problem, and immediately I can see that everything runs faster. I have NOT used any AV for years and in spite of visititing all kind of websites, not once had a virus. Which is one of Win7 advantages... Should I ever, Support for Win7 may end, Macrium will fix it...
    Thank you for your help...

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you for this... The defrag part was the reason for my question in the first place. I did notice in the past that occasionally my restore points had vanished
    And thank you for the link, I already started to read my way through thread. :)