Shuttle SG31G2 sometimes fails to boot after BIOS update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chokobanana, Sep 20, 2009.

1. chokobanana

chokobanana MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #1 chokobanana, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #2 sebus, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. nlspecial

nlspecial MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2008
    You could try loading defaults in the Bios. also reset the cmos jumper on your mobo. That might fix your problems.

4. chokobanana

Aug 28, 2009
    Thanks.
    I can't seem to recall if I did load the defaults after I flashed the new BIOS. And since this was an BIOS version update also, that may be one of the reasons.

Anyhow, I re-flashed the BIOS with the modified SLIC version and loaded the defaults along with a jumber reset. It'll probably take a while until I know if this worked for sure since the boot problem occurs infrequently. I'll let you guys know as soon as I know anything. (And I was hoping to install Windows 7 today :( Dont wanna do it unless I know the reason of the booting problem though..)

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #5 911medic, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    But not with Andy tool, as due to having Dynamic 2.0 already, Dynamic is the OBLY option

sebus

7. chokobanana

Aug 28, 2009
    #7 chokobanana, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    (OP)
    I'm pretty sure resetting the BIOS solved the problem, but the motherboard broke down on me while still testing.. :(

Shuttle make good barebones but the SG31G2 sure has some kind of bug..
    Of course the Shuttle support is denying it.

This was actually my 3rd SG31G2 box. The USB/Firewire chip broke on all 3 of them. (within 14 months) And I don't have any special devices or anything that may "break" the chip. The funny thing is, they released a new version of the SG31G2 thats called "version 2" and guess what's different between the orginal one and v2?

The USB / Firewire chip!! They switched from Texas Instruments to VIA.

The Shuttle support said: "You have an electronic device and these devices go wrong, eventually. It's hard to predict when a system will bad as I've had systems last 6-7 years while others may experience problems sooner." which sounds like BS to me

8. Initial G

Initial G MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2010
    I know it's an old thread, but recently the Shuttle SG31G5 (G2 v 1.2 mobo) i built for my parents started failing and i think it's the usb ports. I bought it second hand and flashed it with an asus slic 2.1 bios about 1 year ago for windows 7. It worked flawlessly (i think) for about half a year, then there were some issues.

1. connecting a usb hdd to a front usb port caused wifi usb adapter to turn off/disconnect. (fixed by unplug/plugin)
    2. it started failing to post sometimes, causing the bios to reset to default.
    3. sometimes after entering BIOS (hit del on usb keyboard) navigation through bios is impossible

now it started to hang during windows startup, which is fixed by trying reset 2-4 times. It seems to need to warm up. I tried reflash bios, different settings (more conservative) update drivers, reseat ram etc.

I am now planning to disable onboard USB and adding a PCI usb controller.
    If that fails i will try reflowing the mobo i guess.