Shuttle ST20G5 64bit M1573 driver help needed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by csjjpm, Oct 14, 2009.

1. csjjpm

csjjpm MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Hi,
    I have tried the ali/uli driver from the integrated 2.14 and 2.20 package but after it has loaded during setup it still does not show a hard disk.
    Has anyone managed to get a M1573 working in a Vista or Windows 7 64bit installation?
    Thanks
    Paul

2. csjjpm

csjjpm MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Any ideas anyone?

3. csjjpm

csjjpm MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    Foiled again

Windows 7 blue screened after completing the install. I got a version of Vista 64 installed and then extracted the drivers using drivermagic.
    The version in Vista 64 was 6.3.0.0 but I couldn't find them online so had to extract them myself as I said above.
    So far Windows 7 is installing with them. Fingers crossed.

4. csjjpm

csjjpm MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    when it reboots does it blue screen?

It did that to me with a blue screen STOP error. That happened with both the Nvidia ones and the 64bit Uli 6.2.0.0 and 6.2.0.2 ones I got originally.

If you can get your hands on a copy of Vista 64 (even without activating) it comes with ULi drivers out of the box. You can then extract the drivers for your system and then reinstall with Windows 7 64.

I have a few ST20G5s and I couldn't get the extracted ones to work on all the boxes I had and that is why I went on the hunt and got the 6.3.0.2.

Yep you are right being limited to 2GB makes the 64bit redundant but it might make a difference.... or maybe someone more technical will tell me it doesn't!

5. hfm

hfm MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    thanks for the response, hard to find any help because the system is aging (but still completely capable).

ive only tried the driver you posted and the one from nvidia. it never blue screens, just reboots during the second part of the install process after the first reboot. One time it just locked up instead of spontaneously rebooting.

i tried updating my bios, there was a newer one on shuttle's site. I also tried swapping in my old 7600GT. No dice on either. I figure its definitely a driver issue. The only two hardware related changes I havent tried is going with the embedded graphics and removing some mem sticks. But I think those aren't going to help. I'll try to hunt down that other driver version I suppose.

thanks again for sharing your findings

6. hfm

hfm MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    no dice, still just spontaneously reboots somewhere in the completing installation phase after the fiest valid reboot.

hrm..

7. max90034

max90034 MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
    I need some help: I am trying to update ST20G5 from Vista Ult 32bit to 7 Ult 32bit. After checking hardware the installation stops and says me to update m1573 driver. I tried to update my existing vista driver 6.3.0.2 using nvidia 220 package - could not boot vista after that, it either blue screened or hang. Also tried to update driver from floppy_aa1697. To my surprise this driver version was older (smth like 1.1.5). After reboot I could not login again (blue screen, etc). I am wondering why floppy_aa1697 worked for some installations but not for mine. And why it is listed as 6.3.0.2 version and I got something older. Can the problem be because I am trying to update rather than to do fresh installation? thanks very much!

8. hfm

hfm MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    It seems that it is hit or miss if you will be able to install Win7 on an ST20G5. Which sounds odd as they should all have basically the same hardware. I've tried numerous different combinations of memory, video cards, updating the bios, etc.. I always get a spontaneous reboot during the completing installation phase, of which there is no recovery from other than trying the install again with the same result. I've decided to just upgrade my shuttle box, cpu, and mem to new stuff and port the rest of the components over to the new box.

Good luck.