Signing in with a Microsoft Account / Windows Activation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Phoenix, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    So I heard that signing in with a Microsoft account now links your Windows Product Key to your account.

so if I change my laptop entirely to a new laptop, since I have a key on my account, does that mean that I can use that same key to activate the new laptop provided I am not using that key on the old laptop anymore or is the benefit of that only for minor hardware changes?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #2 lobo11, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #3 kelorgo, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    You are confusing several things.

You heard wrong. Signing in with a Microsoft account links a digital licence to your Microsoft account, if you have one. It does not link a product key. A digital licence is typically acquired by upgrading a qualifying version of Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 (although there are other ways to get a digital licence). If your copy of Windows 10 is activated with a product key instead, then chances are you don't have a digital licence.

That depends. One, as I said above, a product key is not linked to your Microsoft account. Two, it depends on your licence rights in your copy of Windows 10. If your licence rights allow transferring to a new computer, you can do so. Having a product key does not automatically give you transfer rights. Whether or not you have transfer rights usually depends on how you got the product key. If you bought a retail (boxed) copy of Windows 10, or you bought a digital copy of Windows 10 online, then you usually have transfer rights. If Windows 10 came with your computer, you usually don't have transfer rights.

At any rate, the whole "reactivate with Microsoft account" is targeting digital licences. If you have a product key, you can always just reenter the key, so there is no need for any form of linking.

4. mojaveron

mojaveron MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2010
    here is a interesting article about reactivation after hardware change.

windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What i read from that is you have to login with a MSA (online account), i don't want to use my MSA on my systems.

6. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Addicted

Oct 18, 2014
    Just make a new MSA and password then tape it to Your PC and forget about it until it's needed :)

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If you don't have to login each time maybe it's okay. Momentarily i only use my MSA to login the IP app to get new IP's.

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I see linking your account as a possible extra layer of protection. I've already read people claim they have an easier time getting Microsoft to reactivate you (when calling in is necessary) when you're linked, as opposed to not being linked. But these were mostly on overclocking sites where people swap out hardware like it's candy.

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #9 lobo11, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Addicted

Oct 18, 2014
    I Never got the option to click "This is the device I'm using right now" option, and click the Activate button :confused: *from Your 1st link*. One thing I did notice in that article was: "There is a limit number of times you can re-activate. If you reach that limit, you won't be able to activate Windows 10." o_O

Personally, there's no way I'm going to link ALL My devices with One account. When I originally joined the Insider Program to "Get a Free Copy of Windows 10" I made new accounts and put the nfo inside each laptop and desktop. After the above was first changed to "Insiders get a Free Upgrade" then later "Everybody gets a Free Upgrade" I Quit the Insider program and never used those ID's again :mad:

So Now that Your M$ account will automatically be tied to the HWID on each PC if You sign in with the M$ account :death:Just what will happen If I decide to sell or donate one or more of My older Rigs :mad: The new owners will Need My account Name and PASSWORD :eek: Yea, Thanks Microsoft for that :mad: That really makes Bat feel more secure.

So I'm still going by Get the Digital License, but except for the Online Gamers that May (?) one day be tied to a XBone I really don't plan on upgrading My "Daily Drivers" to Win 10 and linking the accounts.

11. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I really need to know which of those articles we are all going to use or is it a mystery that MS won't reveal alas a "moving target"o_O

12. Phoenix

Phoenix MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    that's my doubt as well. Can one unlink a specific key that is tied to his account should he wish to sell his computer? if not, then it seems like a very bad idea to tie the product key to any account.

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    So, everyone's confused, anyone, which link has the rules we will abide by:tea: take your time, because if someone asks, which link is the golden rule:31: Bat.1, I had more hope in you, but I guess after yesterdayo_O, your not on your game:(

14. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Addicted

Oct 18, 2014
    Well in the words of Uncle WZor "дерьмо случается" :p Still on My Game, just don't know how long the lightning is gonna let Me stay on the Internet :weep:

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Cheer up, it's all good:clap:

16. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I see associating the HWID to some other ID to be a good thing. Back in the days of CD-Keys, when reactivating on slightly changed HW the Activation server could pull up previous activations and potentially come to the conclusion that you are on a previously activated PC. With just a slightly changed HWID it is impossible to determine if there already is a DE, by adding an MSA to the mix the activation server has fewer PCs to compare it to.

17. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    You forget, MS makes the determination on what effects HWID, adding MSA is just more spying:eek: