Silly Bios Mod Question/Thanks in advance

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by jeff2012, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jeff2012

jeff2012 MDL Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Hi guys,

In the past I have modded a bios on older machines so it would match when I installed an OEM key and certificate.

With brand New OEM motherboards let's say from Asus or Gigabyte is the SLIC correct or is modification still needed.

I remember running a diagnostic tool that by seeing a 0 or a 1 in a column meant is was SLIC 2.1 ready I think.

Bottom line, all the boards I modded were pre windows 7.

Would a brand new Asus MB still need to have its bios modded to install an OEM version of win 7 and be activated once the key and certificates are installed or would the bios stay as is and would be just ready to accept the ceryificate and product key?

Lastly, will windows 8 require yet new bios mods?

Thanks so much for any answers

JAS

2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 NoJuan999, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    If you Modify the BIOS to add SLIC 2.1 (Most Retail MBs do NOT have SLIC 2.1) then you can use a Matching OEM Installation Disk or manually Install the Matching Certificate and Key to Activate Windows 7 (as long as it is NOT an Enterprise Edition).

Or if you don't want to mod your BIOS, you can use the Loader by Daz to trick Win 7 into thinking you have a SLIC 2.1 enabled OEM PC.

As for Windows 8, M$ is working on a New Activation Method so a new BIOS Mod or some other method will be needed.

3. jeff2012

jeff2012 MDL Member

Mar 31, 2010
    NOjuan,

Does the enterprise edition care about whether the bios is modded or not?

Is the diff btwn Windows 7 Ultimate and Win 7 enterprise simply the KEY itself?

If I use Windows 7 Ultimate with a Enterprise key what happens?

Can Enterprise be used without a modded bios?

Thnx

4. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    Enterprise Editions require either a MAK Key or KMS Validation, which can be Emulated by a KMS Activator.
    A BIOS Mod will not make any difference with the Enterprise Editions.
    Ultimate is IMO definitely the way to go.
    With a BIOS Mod or use of the Loader by Daz you wo't have to worry about it getting de-activated.

5. jeff2012

jeff2012 MDL Member

Mar 31, 2010

NOJUAN,

I thought the enterprise edition was meant for large corporations where one key was used to deply to thousands of computers, so activation via the net is still necessary i guess.

When you say "A BIOS Mod will not make any difference with the Enterprise Editions" are you saying I can still use an unmodded bios and use a KMS activator?

Is there ANY benefit to an enterprise edition of Windows 7?

Do any of the Asus/Gigabyte motherboards use the type of bios natively we need?
    Can you name any top of the line MB that has it natively?

With Office 2010, any versions that don't need the net to activate or use of an activator every 180 days?

Thanks so much!!!!

6. NoJuan999

Jul 31, 2009
    #6 NoJuan999, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    I personally Don't see ANY benefit to using an Enterprise edition.
    And you are talking about a MAK Key (Multiple Activation Keys), they can work but only if they have not exceeded their limit.
    For Enterprise you can use a KMS Activator and NO SLIC 2.1 BIOS Mod is needed or would even work.
    Enterprise Editions do NOT use SLIC Activation.

ASUS and Gigabyte MBs that you buy at Retail do NOT have SLIC 2.1,
    there may be some out there somewhere but not that I'm aware of.

As for Office at this time the Activators that automatically re-activate it before the 180 Days expires are really the Only option.

7. jeff2012

jeff2012 MDL Member

Mar 31, 2010
    So gone are the days like win xp corp with their corp keys?

The PAZ activator instead of modded bios, will windows genuine advantage flag this as part of windows update?

Also where can i download it from

Thanks!

8. jeff2012

jeff2012 MDL Member

Mar 31, 2010

So again, NO real advantage to using win 7 Enterprise to spare onseself the problem of having to mod a bios?