Simple GUI front end (v2) for the MediaCreationTool for RS3 & RS4

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mxman2k, Feb 12, 2018.

1. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #1 mxman2k, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's really a nice addition to the standard MCT, kudozzzzzz :good3:

3. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Just been thrown together well it was at first then it sort of expanded a bit more, with error checks and stuff.

Someone might find use for it. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Pareto Optimal

Pareto Optimal MDL Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I have to select Pro, Pro N, Edu, Edu N, Ent or Ent N in the GUI? I thought this created a multi-edition ISO of all the editions I just listed.
    I have to past a volume license key? Does the GUI provide the key or do I already have to have one?

Thank you

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #5 mxman2k, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    (OP)
    For consumer just click Create. This would be as the normal MCT does, Home/Pro.

For AIO Volume, select one of the Editions, Click Create, the MCT takes over, when you are asked for a key to insert, press CTRL V to insert/paste the default gVLK key for that Edition, the key is stored within the GUI and then added to the 'clipboard' so that you can 'paste' it into the MCT window that appears.

The keys used/stored in the GUI are only the default gVLK ones you can see/find on the forum or the internet, they do not activate the OS they just allow the MCT to download, you have to use either a genuine key or 'other' solution to activate once downloaded.

Once the ISO/USB been downloaded/created, open Sources folder within the ISO/USB, delete the PID.TXT file, save the ISO if that was your download choice, you then have a AIO Volume ISO/USB.

Which should contain all the Editions for VL. :)

The GUI just passes certain parameters to the MCT which normally you would not see or know about. ;)

The reason the GUI has a VL selection is because the MCT does not 'officially' download VL editions as such, the parameter's passed to it alter how the MCT runs.

Using any of the Volume Editions will create a AIO by default, it's just that there is no parameter that allows that option.

The downloaded ISO/USB will be AIO but because the PID.txt is there with the default gVLK key it seems like it is a single Edition.

The GUI does not edit/modify the MCT itself, this is why once you click the Create button the GUI exits and the MCT takes over because the GUI has added the parameters to the MCT command line just like if you had typed them manually, this GUI just makes that easier and less prone to errors.

6. wladw

wladw MDL Member

May 7, 2015
    Great utility, thanks for sharing mxman2k.

7. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #7 mxman2k, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    (OP)
    MCT text file attached which contains all the MCT's parameters so-far, (there may be new ones added once RS4 is released publicly).

Some are self explanatory others not so!

Use them at your own risk!

Attached Files:

8. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    There will be a update to this tool shortly :)

It will allow you to select RS3 (16299) or the new RS4 (17134) :D

Testing at present.

GUI looks same but with a added selector for RS3/RS4 ( defaults to RS3 unless you change selection! )

Both MCT's will be within the archive and named specially for their purpose, these was downloaded from Microsoft.

Attached Files:

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #9 mxman2k, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    (OP)
  10. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Remember for Volume downloads the ISO/USB will be AIO if you delete the pid.txt from the Sources folder.

Also remember to use CTRL-V (right click paste) in the MCT itself when asked for the key on Volume downloads, this will insert the gVLK (default) key for the edition selected (its saved in the clipboard) which is then placed into the PID.txt file within the Sources folder once the download is complete - which if left will install that edition the key was for, as above delete the PID.txt and the image becomes AIO. :)

11. Kowski

Kowski MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2010
    I can't select the architecture of the ISO. It always downloads the ISO with the architecture of my system.

12. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #12 mxman2k, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    (OP)
    Strange, the GUI does not change any x86/x64 settings, that is all handled with the MCT itself, there should be a screen on the MCT program that asks about edition/architecture and you un-tick the box so you can change if x86 or x64 (or both). :g:

All the gui does is give certain parameters that the MCT uses for Consumer/VL(Business) - the download and any other selections made are handled by MCT.

See picture attached. Have ringed the box to untick to then allow you to select the Architecture. For different languages the wording will look different but concept is the same.

Attached Files:

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @mxman2k thanks for the updated Frontend GUI :hug::hug2:

14. Urano_Metria

Urano_Metria MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2016
    I'm getting a 502 Bad Gateway error on the download page for this.

15. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    hmm seems the file host has a server problem. :g: Have added an extra download link, same file different host. :)

16. Urano_Metria

Urano_Metria MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2016
    Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. The problem now is that I am getting a Cloudflare Error 520 with the new link. I'm not sure if it's a problem globally, but Cloudflare's Chicago server can't connect to dbr.ee. Maybe Zippyshare would work?

I'm not ready to blame the upload services yet, I'll hop on my VPN to check if my ISP is blocking international file sharing websites and report back.

17. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Not sure about the Cloudflare error :g: - unless you are using their DNS 1.1.1.1 - 1.0.0.1 ?

Maybe a ISP block, I live in England and i get blocked from quite a few sites these days.

I try to avoid Zippyshare etc because of lots of adverts, even though i have uBlockOrigin in operation, i not like to have people being bombarded with the damn popups and other stuff.

18. Urano_Metria

Urano_Metria MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2016
    I cleared my cache and connected to my VPN and it downloaded just fine. Then I disconnected from VPN and the link was still good, so I'm not sure which solution actually worked, lol. Either way, I got it downloaded just fine. Thanks!

19. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    There again it is the 13th :p

I'm not superstitious but it been a bit of a strange 'technical' day so far for me! :D