Skip OOBE and useless tutorial at first boot?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by gnugeek, Nov 18, 2012.

1. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Is there a way to bypass the annoying tutorial on First Boot or what we call OOBE (Out of box experience). It adds 4-5 minutes of setup time. I remember that the Release Preview could boot to desktop in 2-3 minutes once the setup started.

2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Is it really that much of an inconvenience? It is shown only once after all...

3. franco54

franco54 MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    Autounattend.xml

4. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    and according to the installer it is still "getting your PC ready" as its showing you the OOBE. So it may not be adding any time at all.

5. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #5 HALIKUS, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    use this in the autounattend

Code:
                    <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>5</Order>
                        <Path>reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" /v EnableFirstLogonAnimation /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                    <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>6</Order>
                        <Path>reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v EnableFirstLogonAnimation /d 0 /t REG_DWORD /f</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>

6. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks Halikus. I used this before in my autounattend.xml, but only the first part (not the policies\system part). Using only the first part made the animation disappear in the Enterprise version, but not the Pro version!
    Can you confirm that the second part is needed only for Pro? If you don't know what I'm talking about: no problem, I'll try it out. Thanks!!!!

7. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    There is a systempolicy (not group) that only seems enabled in Enterprise (like Sideloading and others) which prevents the Pro Edition from using the registry keys. So maybe it's not 'easy' possible.

8. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    You can remove the tutorial away using ALT F4 but then you watch to a black screen for some time.
    This is happening because the tutorial is actually a webpage.. :p

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Does the Tutorial even add any time to it? Im pretty sure "Getting your system ready" is still working in the background

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    #10 Niekess, Nov 19, 2012
    Not sure, I personally think that it is really doing something and is not just for show-off. The only way to figure it out is to look into the code of the whole process. The location of that is the following. Here is also the HTML page of the animation itself.
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\oobe

11. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    yes. the filename is FirstLogonAnim.html in C:\Windows\System32\oobe\ folder. :)

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #12 Shenj, Nov 19, 2012

I did a quick test, renaming it/whatever only kills the Animations, so you end up with.. Hi.. look at the new way to use windows...... BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You might as well just leave it. There's background tasks running during this that need to finish anyway. You can close it with alt+f4 but then you just have a black screen & have to wait anyway...

14. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    But the same background processes at OOBE were not present in RP. Seems like unnecessary bloat was added last minute.

15. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    Then use the RP? How can you determine it's unnecessary?

16. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Funny how this can whip up a whole discussion. If you like the animation: keep it. More power to you. (It actually looks like "attract mode" on the old Atari!)
    I like installs to be fully unattended, and my personal reasoning is: When there's nobody at the PC to watch the installation (unattended = no attendees), what's the point of displaying the animation. Like a performer without an audience. So to protect the feelings of my PC, I give the performer a day off and turn off the animation.

17. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    The reason i have 2 is for Ent and Pro. I had posted one entry previously and someone said it didn't work and posted what worked for them. I realized he had installed Pro and i had installed Enterprise, so i use both. I do alot of VM testing and as far as i can remember, i haven't seen the animation for a few months, but i don't really watch the install closely. I'd say try them and im 99% sure they will work.

18. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    An entirely human and unreasonable behaviour. The machine doesn't care.

19. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for confirming!! Lately, I've using WinNTSetup (by JFX) for all OS installs, that tool has its own tweak to disable the animation (probably the same 2 entries), but now I know 100% that *both* entries are needed to cover Enterprise and Pro, if you use standard setup with autounattend.xml.