Sleep, restart and shut down hang at black screen.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ikith, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    Last night I installed Windows 8.1, and after installing the drivers and having reboot work every time this morning I woke up and went to put my laptop to sleep so I could pack it away for work, I shut the laptop lid which is supposed to sleep it and after I was ready, I picked it up to pack it away in to my bag and noticed that the hard drive was still reading and the power light was solid. Opened the laptop and it was still on but on a black screen I couldn't get it to come back from, so I hard powered the laptop off and ignored it as a fluke.

Later after I had gotten to work I powered it back on, and did a few things and tried to reboot, this also hung at the black screen, I hard powered it again, and tried a shut down, same issue, hangs at a black screen hard drive light flashes as if the drive was still active and does not turn off. Hard powered AGAIN and tried sleep, same issue.

Is there any way to diagnose what is causing to hang? I'm thinking its a driver or something (I'm also going to reinstall Windows 8 just in case its incompatibility with a driver), but if a reinstall doesn't fix the issue, where should I start on this?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try updating .. or downgrading 1 driver at time and try to reproduce issue.. start by audio then lan then video.. also bios version might matter.
    it is windows 8 sooo who knows what it could be :p

3. ikith

ikith MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2012
    Sorry for necroing this, I know its old but the issue is solved, I ended up running 8 for a while then doing a fresh install of 8.1 again and the issue seems to be gone -Knock on wood- did the same thing as last time.