SLIC 2.1 Noob Question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by curioustrapper, Apr 3, 2010.

1. curioustrapper

curioustrapper MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2010
    hi! this is my first post! first of all i'd like to thank all those participating in this forum! it's helped me a great deal!

moving on to the matter at hand, i've been researching quite a bit, mostly in this forum about activating windows 7. i've determined so far that my sister's laptop, an HP mini, fortunately already has a slic 2.1 table by using the slic toolkit so i don't need to modify the bios or use a loader. however, i'm stumped on what i'm supposed to do next. i understand that all i need to do is to install a certificate and a proper key that corresponds to the version of windows 7 i installed. my question is, is there a specific certificate for the specific 2.1 table in my sister's laptop? i'm asking this because on some threads i can see that there are multiple certificates for the same brand. and i think i found a link before that leads you to a tool that checks whether the slic table and the certificate are compatible although i can't find it anymore. i'm thinking that it might be the case because in windows xp specific certificates were compatible with specific slp strings?

any help on the matter will be truly appreciated. :worthy: i apologize if it's a noob question and again kudos to all the people here! :D

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :)

And yes, all you need is a SLP Key for the installed edition plus the Cert that corresponds to the SLIC21 in the BIOS.

Im not fully sure offhand, but i think SLIC Toolkit should show you which Cert you need.

In any case it will show you whether you have installed the right or the wrong one, so if all else fails just try trial and error.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    #3 LQQL, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    It should have an HP SLIC table.
    Look at the advanced tab of slic dump toolkit to see.
    If it does then you can install the HP Certificate and HP OEM SLP Key.
    And your sis will be a happy girl.

EDIT:
    LQQL, Great minds think alike.
    I think we were typing at the same time. :)

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #5 timesurfer, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    NoJuan999: Yeah, we did. ;D

7. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I think his question was more about which one of the HP Certs he needs to install as there are apparently several ones available...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    #9 LQQL, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    Phazor: Yeah, you're right! Actually I know only one HP certificate. -> HP-COMPAQ.xrm-ms

curioustrapper: Yeah, it just needs to match the version not the brand. You need a SLIC table and the matching CERT for that brand. OEM SLP Keys aren't brand related.

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I just checked my SLIC21 folder: I have three HPs, two of which are the same but one is different.

That means there are at least two, unless one isnt really SLIC21.

10. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  11. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    Certificates contain the OEMID and RSA public key. HP has got two OEMID's, one is the common "HPQOEM" and the other is a rare "HP ".

12. curioustrapper

Mar 20, 2010
  13. ttmax

ttmax MDL Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Some PCs have a long commercial life, begining with WinXP or Vista preinstalled, and still on the market now with Win7.
    For these PCs , bios updates from manufacturers have SLIC2.1 inserted. I saw the same symptom on a Samsung NC10 mini PC. Initially no SLIC in BIOS and WinXP installed, and after last BIOS update from Samsung SLIC21. I then installed WIN7 without loader or bios mod.

Maybe your sister PC bios was updated to the last avalaible from HP.

14. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
  15. curioustrapper

Mar 20, 2010
    thanks! but does this imply that a windows 7 starter installation will have everything installed already and will just need an ultimate SLP key to unlock these? i was always under the impression that fresh install of ultimate version would always take more space than a starter one. :D

16. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Yep, all the features are there, they are just locked so you cannot use them. Entering the ultimate SLP key will unlock them :)

17. curioustrapper

Mar 20, 2010
    that's great news! i guess if i push through with the purchase i won't have to do a fresh install of ultimate!:D i was anticipating at least a night's worth of work burning a restore disk from the partition, and reinstalling all the drivers after a fresh install :p your help will spare me from this! thanks again!:)