SLIC 2.1 on Dell N-Series system?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by kenyloveg, Aug 14, 2010.

1. kenyloveg

kenyloveg MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    Hi, Guys
    My Laptop is E6410, comes with Ubuntu. Last week I've installed Dell OEM Windows 7, but OS reminds me it need to be activated. Of course, the BIOS from Dell website has SLIC 2.1 in it, i guess Dell hide/locked SLIC 2.1 on N-series.:mad:
    Is there anyway to enable SLIC 2.1 on my system?:worthy:
    Thanks and have a good day.

2. kenyloveg

kenyloveg MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    Excuse me for not making it clear.
    Dell is now introducing UEFI BIOS, or maybe the SVCTAG/ASSET tools are too old for new systems.
    On my E6410, it reports "not supported".
    If anybody having E5410/E4310 would expering the same problem in case they comes with Ubuntu...
    Thanks.

3. kenyloveg

kenyloveg MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    Ok, Just got the news from Dell internal.
    The new E6410/E4310... systems and then the E6420... will need an authorization from Dell server to unlock SLIC table in EEEPROM.
    Anyone know how to dump current EEEPROM? and do a compare to another SLIC enabled EEEPROM?

4. potpotjeng

potpotjeng MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    kenyloveg! I have dell N5010 and it is using AMI bios aptio which is UEFI bios. And i was able to unhide the hidden slic 2.1 using the dell bios reset tool.

5. berci87

berci87 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    hi,i have dell n5010 like you.i can't to unhide slic 2.1 !can you make a mini tutorial guide how to unhide bios for this model?i downloaded biosreset tool,but i don't know what to do next!how to make bootable flash?thank you.

6. potpotjeng

potpotjeng MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    #7 potpotjeng, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  7. steve21

steve21 MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2009
    Still no go on UEFI

Firstly there's no way to tell on a dell if it has UEFI (or may be I'm missing something). I had a Dell T5500 Precision workstation with the same BIOS (GUI) etc and I could easily unhide it's SLIC table. I then got some vostros in Aug 2010 and did the same (their's was definitely a BIOS). And now with a Latitude E6410 I'm stuck. There's no way I could get this done by svctag, asset.com or the BIOS reset ISO (it too uses svctag and asset.com). So I use a softmod. Sad & unfortunate that a usable OS isn't bundled with the hardware and both MS & apple hold us to ransom. And linux simply ain't cuttin it.

8. cybervtec

cybervtec MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    Any luck with n310 Mod?

I also have one, and i want to have full power in my bios ;)

If you need the dump of my rom, please tell me so.

Thanks a lot

9. mikefox

mikefox MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2010
    New programs replacing SVCTAG and ASSET for E4310 E6410 E6510

Asset.com and asset.exe will no longer work with UEFI BIOS. They will be replaced with SmMfgCfg32/64.exe and PlatTags.exe / PlatformTags32/64.exe.

◦SmMfgCfg32/64.exe

■Set System Tag data
    ■Set EPPID (system board tag, service tag and version) data
    ■Existing factory tool that is already being used.
    ■Only used in Dell factory environment and NOT for customer use.

◦PlatTags.exe and PlatformTags32/64.exe

■PlatTags.exe is a 16 bit DOS application
    ■PlatformTags32/64.exe ia a 32 and 64 bit Windows command line application
    ■Reading and displaying all 4 tags (Asset, System, Owner Tags and EPPID data
    ■Set and delete asset tag data
    ■Set and delete owner tag data
    ■Can be used by customers
    ■Please refer to the usage below:

Syntax : PlatformTags [Argument] [optional path for screen output to file]

Command line arguments (arguments are not case sensitive):
    RPT = 'ReadPlatformTags'. Reads and displays asset, owner, and EPPID (system board, service tag and version) tag data.
    SAT = 'SetAssetTag:assetdata'. Sets the asset tag data.
    DAT = 'DeleteAssetTag'. Deletes the asset tag data.
    SOT = 'SetOwnerTag:eek:wnerdata'. Sets the owner tag data.
    DOT = 'DeleteOwnerTag' Delete owner tage data.

Return value is always 0 if successful or FFh if there is an error.
    Help can be displayed using the -? or /? parameters.

Examples:
    - 'PlatformTags32 RPT' or 'PlatformTags32 ReadPlatformTags' reads and displays all of the platform tag data.
    - 'PlatformTags32 SAT:1234567' or 'PlatformTags32 SetAssetTag:1234567' would set the asset tag to '1234567'.

10. berci87

berci87 MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2010
    i tried with dell bios reset tool burned on cd.but no luck!
    tried with asset 12/31 and 12/34,i can't unhide the bios slick!any help?
    bios a11 on dell n5010

11. kenyloveg

kenyloveg MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009

Dude, where can we find this tool?
    Thanks in advance.

12. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    you're not being very helpful at all if you don't tell people where to get this!

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  14. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    #16 Kouryu, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    urie, I wasn't implying he had it... I apologize for this misunderstanding... what he did imply to me though was he knew where to get it; a simple link or "look for this thread" would've sufficed :) and if he didn't have anymore information, he could have simply said "I don't have this util and don't know where to find it"

what I'm trying to say is, making his post clear would have avoided these misunderstandings :)

EDIT: also, I did try to search for that util here but it's not in the SLP marker update thread or any where else... if I knew where to get it, I would've posted the link to it to bring closure to this thread :)

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No worries, I understand he could have stated that to avoid confusion.

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I don't have a dell laptop, so i'm not sure if the windows models come with recovery dvd's or just recovery partition. I do Know that when I bought my dell Inspiron Desktop it came with a recovery partition and windows vista install dvd + a drivers and utilities dvd and the sevice tab and asset tag programs where on the drivers and utilities dvd..

17. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    I'd be surprised if they come with recovery discs... many manufacturers are cheap now and don't give them to you unless you request them... HP for example, give you 90 days to request the discs for no charge... they don't tell you this until you talk to them... no red paper in the box saying "call now to order or pay $10 later!"
    pretty ridiculous IMO

I think the only time you ever get any discs is if you bought a business grade system... you did pay extra for the better hardware, better warranty, better support after all

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007