SLIC/Bios/OEM SLP/Certs

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by emerica243, Oct 29, 2013.

1. emerica243

emerica243 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2010
    So far what ive understood, theres no more Cert/XRM-MS files that you can install that would link up with the a SLIC table in the bios. Theres no more COA keys on machines. Theres just one key, integrated into the bios that the windows 8 install checks for and uses.

My question is, if i wanted to use that OEM key from one machine, on my own barebone built machine, is that possible anymore? So far from what i understand, the only way to do that is to use a Default windows 8/8.1 install key. And then Activate windows from the PC Settings using that OEM key from the bios?

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    You won't be able to use or activate this OEM key on a another machine

3. emerica243

emerica243 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2010
    Do you think there will be bios emulations to emulate that bios on another machine to use the key? Or would we be stuck with needing to obtain a retail key to activate with or else KMS activations?

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    If it was me I would get newest hardware that was still slic 2.1 moddable and ride the Windows 7 horse until it dies :D

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No, it works, at least it has 4 weeks ago. (Tried by myself at pro 8.1 with my 8.0 DM serial)

When you use the integrated key (DM serial) of a not yet activated machine, you can right install the right SKU on your barebone using the retail generic product key and then right activate it. W8-->change product key online-->activates at once.

If the DM serial has been activated already on the original machine then you need to phone activate your barebone using the DM key.

It works either way. You don't need to integrate the DM serial into BIOS / EFI. IF integrated the setup detects it and changes to SLP: DM automatically, these are all the advantages.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...