SLIC disappeared from bios. What could have happened?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by KurentEweser, Mar 1, 2014.

1. KurentEweser

KurentEweser MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    A month ago I installed Windows 7 Pro on a new Asrock MB. The only modified bios I could find was a flash from Windows Asus version. Everything worked fine until now. Now I get the non genuine messages. I loaded AIDA64 and saw there was no SLIC entry in the bios. I reflashed with the same bios I used before and rebooted. All is well and AIDA64 shows the SLIC entry for now at least.

When I installed Windows 7, I used an all in one version that will only install a loader if there is no SLIC in the bios. Then I flashed the modified bios. I installed Windows twice. The first time was to flash the bios. I then formatted the drive a second time to get rid of the boot loader and to install Windows with a "modified" bios. So my question is. Will the Windows bios flash utility work properly if Windows was running with a boot loader? BTW I never got the 30 days to activate notice. Maybe one of you can explain what happened.

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Where did you get your copy of Windows 7? Retail copy? MDL Download? Torrent?

3. videobruce

videobruce MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2013
    If you used a "loader", Software Protection (service) has to be running.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KurentEweser

KurentEweser MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    What I was asking was, would a loader interfere with the flashing of a modded bios from Windows? The first time I flashed, I took for granted that the bios I flashed took. When I checked the bios after the Windows Not Genuine warning, there was no SLIC. My guess is that Windows found and disabled the loader. When I flashed the modded bios from within Windows again. The SLIC showed up like it should and Windows was happy. I never had a problem with this copy of Windows when I flashed from DOS.

5. videobruce

videobruce MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I don't see why, but I will admit I don't fully understand exactly how these 'loaders' work. I was under the impression it only resides in the O/S.
    I prefer to flash outside of Windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. KurentEweser

KurentEweser MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2009
    I would have flashed outside of Windows too, but the only bios available here was imbedded in a Windows application. If I ever have to flash in Windows again, it will be with an unactivated copy of Windows.