Slic management and OPATool usage

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetjock, Mar 9, 2010.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I have two computers. One is an HP Pavilion with Vista. Second is a desktop with an Intel motherboard and the i7 CPU that was built by a local computer store. I have run the SLIC Toolkit on both and can post screen-shots of results if needed. I know the store built one will probably be the most difficult, so lets start with the HP.

HP shows that it has HPQOEMSLIC-MPC_v2.0 with a Phoenix BIOS/ACPI 2.0. The only red item is in the "Cert: box where it shows "No OEM Certificate found! (Run as Administrator)". Would someone be willing to walk me through (using small words ;)) what I would need to do to first, upgrade this to SLIC 2.1 using OPATool, and then installing and permanently activating Win 7 Ultimate?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    The simplest way of doing this is to use Daz' Program Based Windows 7 Loader. Download, hit install & done. Btw.. if u don't won't to go the loader way, take a look in the bios mod section, download the corresponding bios & flash it.

3. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    I should have been a little clearer in my first post. When I said permanently activate, I supposed that would exclude loaders as Microsoft can eventually block those. As for Windslic, would someone please be kind enough to tell me just what it does? I explained in my very first post (different thread) that I was in way over my head when it came to editing a BIOS, so I need something and someone that will be patient enough to explain just what I'm doing step by step along the way. If Windslic does this, great. If not, I'll need some help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dewnek

dewnek MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
  5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
  6. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Daz' latest loader passed online validation so it's pretty safe to use it for now...

7. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    OK. Thanks.

8. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #11 Rosco, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
    Firstly - Vista loaders that are years old still work - M$ did not target them.

Secondly - M$ do not want "bad press" about 7 so they are going "softly, softly" with all their OS antipiracy measures - the last thing they want is publicity about their OS bluescreening due to antipiracy and reducing potential sales.

Any antipiracy they introduce in future is NOT going to put their lucrative OEM sales at any sort of risk no matter how slight ( oaders exploit OEM offline activation) - believe it or not they can't afford it - they do not want Linux or OS X to get any more market share or the game is over - they would rather have you running pirated Windows than to completely block you and make you switch - believe it - it is true and they even admit it.

Otherwise they could simply have continued the mistake they introduced with Vista and locked down the system if it looked suspect and lost a large amount of market share.

It was when Vista started becoming unpopular that some OEMs started offering linux systems - the result? - M$ backed away from strict OS lockout as an antipiracy method - it is now continual nag with no shutout.

So loaders are probably going to be OK - system hacks are fair game however.

9. dewnek

dewnek MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2010
    another issue with Vista was the PC's (the affordable ones, which regular people buy) were really not powerful enough at the time it came out. so people complained about system performance